Proof of language proficiency by non-native speakers
All applicants whose native language is not English must satisfy one of the following prerequisites before being granted admission to Pellissippi State. Please note that all non-native English speakers who are living outside the United States at the time of application to Pellissippi State must submit valid Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores.
- Submit a minimum score on the TOEFL.
- 450 required on the paper-based TOEFL.
- 133 required on the computer-based TOEFL.
- 45 required on the internet-based TOEFL.
- Submit a minimum score of 4.5 on the IELTS.
- Achieve a passing score on the Michigan Test. Please note that this option is valid only for students who are living in Knoxville, Tennessee, at the time of application to Pellissippi State. The Michigan Test can be attempted only twice. Testing appointments can be made by contacting the international student coordinator.
- Submit a transcript showing graduation from a U.S. high school or completion of the General Educational Development (GED) exam. Please note that the GED must be taken in English to satisfy the English proficiency requirement.
- Submit a transcript showing satisfactory completion (a grade of at least C) of college-level English Composition I from a U.S. college or university.