Refugees, Asylees and Lawful Permanent Residents
Complete the Pellissippi State Application.
NOTE: Choose "International Student" application type from the drop-down menu once you have set up a user account.
If your native language is not English, you must show that you have English proficiency. This can be done in any one of 5 ways:
- Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Information about the TOEFL may be obtained by calling 1-609-771-7100 or by visiting the TOEFL Web site at www.toefl.org. A TOEFL score of 450 on the paper-based, 133 on the computer-based test, or a 45 on the internet-based TOEFL is necessary in order to be admitted. Be sure to arrange to have the scores mailed directly to Pellissippi State from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Pellissippi State's institutional code is 1795, and the department code is 00. It is very important to have these codes with you when you take the TOEFL.
- Take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Information about the IELTS may be obtained by calling 1-323-255-2771 or by visiting the IELTS Web site at www.ielts.org. An IELTS score of 4.5 is necessary to be admitted. Be sure to arrange to have the scores mailed directly to Pellissippi State.
- Students who are already inside the US can take the Pellissippi State English examination, called the Michigan Test. This test can not be taken outside Knoxville, Tennessee. To schedule this test, contact the Admissions and Records Office at 865/694-6568 or via email: email@example.com.
- Provide an official transcript from a US college or university that shows successful completion of English Composition I.
- Proof of graduation from a US high school with a regular high school diploma or completion of the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) exam.
Send an official copy of your high school and/or your college/university transcripts with certified English translations. If you want to receive college credit for courses taken at a college or university outside of the USA, please see the credential evaluation policy.
Complete the Immigration Information Form. Follow the instructions carefully.
Provide your immigration documentation. This may include a receipt for a form I—485, a stamp in a passport that says "Processed for form I-551," an Alien Registration Card, or form I—94 indicating refugee or asylee status.