student working with lab equipment
Female reading on bench
Male in graduation attire

Residency Classification

Initial student residency classification of In-State or Out-of-State is determined by an admissions clerk from information contained on the application for admission.


The State of Tennessee establishes student residency regulations.
Basically, the regulations state that:

  1. Students receiving parental support are classified according to parental domicile.
  2. An emancipated student independent of parents may establish in-state classification by producing clear and convincing evidence of Tennessee domicile. Proof must be provided that the move to Tennessee was not primarily for obtaining educational opportunities for themselves,
    dependents, or spouse.

To help you understand residency regulations at Pellissippi State Community College see the section Frequently Asked Questions.

Appeal for In-State Classification
Students classified as Out-of-State, or whose status is unclear, may submit an In-State Residency Application. The deadline for submission of the application and supporting documentation is six weeks from the first day of class of the semester for which you are appying.

Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA)

The Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA) became effective on October 1, 2012.  The EVEA requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that persons seeking a “state public benefit” are either a “United States citizen” or “lawfully present” in the United States. We must verify the citizenship or lawful presence of students who apply for admission for terms beginning Spring 2013 or later and are assigned a residency category that is eligible for state benefits.  (The term “state benefit” includes in-state tuition, lottery scholarship, academic scholarship, or any other form of tuition assistance or waiver funded with state-appropriated dollars.  State benefit does not include tuition assistance funded privately, such as a scholarship from the institution’s foundation or a privately endowed scholarship.)

Documentation can be submitted directly to the Admissions office, scanned /photographed and attached to an email to or mailed to 10915 Hardin Valley Road, Knoxville, TN 37932.

We do not have to verify the citizenship or lawful presence of students who:

  •  Are under 18 years of age and have not graduated from high school and are applying as dual enrollment students, joint enrollment students, or academically talented/gifted students


  • Have not applied to receive in-state tuition, or a scholarship, grant, loans, tuition or fee waiver, or other financial assistance which is subsidized or paid in whole or in part with state funds; 


  • Have been offered and have accepted a scholarship, grant, loans, tuition or fee waiver, or other financial assistance which is subsidized or paid in whole or in part with state funds, prior to October 1, 2012 for enrollment before Spring 2013.


For students claiming U.S. citizenship without a Citizenship-Confirmed FAFSA the Institution shall require the student to provide a copy of one (1) of the following documents:

  • A valid regular Tennessee driver license or photo identification license (temporary driver license or identification license or permit is NOT acceptable);
  • A valid driver license or photo identification license from another state (except for Utah and New Mexico);
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory, except for Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010;
  • A U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate;
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport;
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545);
  • A report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S. (FS-240);
  • A certificate of citizenship (N560 or N561);
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570, or N578); or
  • A U.S. citizen identification card (I-197, I-179).

For students claiming to be an alien lawfully present in the United States, those students must verify their Alien Registration Number (A#) or I-94 Admission Number by:

  • Completing a Citizenship-Confirmed FAFSA.  Please note that this option is only available for the following individuals:
  • U.S. permanent residents (individuals with an I-151, I-551, or I-551C permanent resident card); and
  • Individuals who have an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following designations:
  • Refugee;
  • Asylum Granted;
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending);
  • Conditional Entrant (Valid only if issued before April 1, 1980);
  • Victims of Human Trafficking (T-2, T-3, or T-4 visa); or
  • Parolee (who meets certain conditions)


Presenting two (2) forms of documentation establishing lawful presence in the United States.  Examples of acceptable documents include:

  • Valid Tennessee driver license or photo identification card (temporary driver license or identification license or permit is NOT acceptable);
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551);
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with visa stamped “Processed for I-551”;
  • Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit (I-327);
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571);
  • Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766);
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94);
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with valid visa;
  • Notice of Approval of Status with bottom I-94 portion attached (Form I-797);
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Student Status (Form I-20); and
  • DS-2019 or IAP-66 for J-1 status holders;
  • Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card; and
  • Any other document determined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to be acceptable through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program created pursuant to the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.

How does the "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals" affect the EVEA? 

Those who are granted "deferred action" status are eligible for work authorization.  They can also obtain social security cards, work authorization cards and, in some states, driver licenses.   This deferred action status does NOT confer "lawful presence" status under federal law or Tennessee state law.  Specifically, "deferred action status" does NOT satisfy the requirement of "lawful presence" under the EVEA.

Driver licenses, photo identification cards or work authorization cards issued on the basis of an individual's deferred status are NOT sufficient to satisfy EVEA requirements.  Tennessee grants Temporary Driver Licenses and Temporary Identification Licenses to persons in deferred action status.  Those licenses, by themselves, do NOT satisfy EVEA requirements because they are not supported by adequate documentation to establish lawful presence.

To review the approved legislation, click here.