If you looked forward to summer camps as a child, or if you simply enjoyed having the extra time that summer affords to explore new activities, you may be interested in enrolling in one of the non-credit creative courses at Pellissippi State Community College.
Two new classes—Bookmaking and Drawing for Beginners—join the lineup of summer workshops for adults offered through Business and Community Services, the college’s non-credit area. The personal creativity courses, dates and fees are as follows:
- Acting 101!—Mondays, June 6-July 18 (No class July 4), 6:30-8:30 p.m.; $109. This exciting workshop offers not only the skills that actors study but also the benefit of improving self-expression techniques that are vital in personal and professional interactions. Class activities include improvisation and cold readings.
- Working With Yarn—Wednesdays, June 22-Aug. 17, 7-8 p.m.; $69. Learn the basics of either crocheting or knitting. This class allows students to decide which of the two endeavors they wish to pursue after initial instruction in the fundamentals. Participants will leave the course with one completed item.
- Drawing for Beginners—Thursdays, June 23-July 28, 6:30-8:30 p.m.; $99, with a list of required materials available before class. Led by Brian Jobe, an adjunct faculty member in Art at Pellissippi State, this new workshop focuses on drawing fundamentals. Students will work with still life, portraiture and figures within an environment.
- Bookmaking—July 11, 6-9 p.m.; $50, plus $10 material fee payable to the instructor. This new three-hour workshop will result in each student’s leaving with a personally made book, along with directions for future projects such as journals, scrapbooks and photo albums.
- Wire Jewelry Design—July 12, 6-8 p.m.; $59, plus $12 material fee payable to the instructor. Pick up the skills needed to make jewelry out of almost any stone or irregularly shaped object. Students will learn wire wrapping techniques using sterling silver square wire, and they’ll create at least one pendant.
Classes meet at the Pellissippi Campus, 10915 Hardin Valley Road.
To register or obtain more information on non-credit courses offered by BCS, visit www.pstcc.edu/bcs or call (865) 539-7167.