Ever wish you could head off to summer camp like the kids do? Thanks to a series of workshops offered by Pellissippi State Community College, adults can invest as little as seven hours this summer and learn a new skill, explore a hobby or pursue a passion. Classes take place at Pellissippi State’s Blount County Campus, 2731 W. Lamar Alexander Pkwy.
“Summer Workshops for Adults” is part of the non-credit program offered by the Business and Community Services Division of Pellissippi State. Workshops include the following:
- “Personal Safety”—June 13-17, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Friday; $99. Enhance your personal security at home, in your car, when traveling, and while using the phone or internet. The course also covers how to prevent fraud. Gun safety will be emphasized as well.
- “Driver Improvement for Mature Operators”—June 13-14, July 11-12 or Aug. 8-9, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; $15. Geared to adults ages 55 and older, this course may help students qualify for an automobile insurance discount. Participants learn how to reduce risk and how to improve their driving skills.
- “Acting 101!”—June 20-24, 9-11:30 a.m.; $109. This exciting new workshop offers not only the skills that actors study but also the benefit of improving self-expression techniques that are vital to personal and professional interactions. Class activities include improvisation and cold readings.
- “Fly-fish 101”—June 25, July 23 or Aug. 20, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; $75 per single, $60 for each additional family member registering at the same time. This workshop is for those who have never fly-fished and those who have begun but seek a better understanding of the basics. Instruction includes rigging an outfit and selecting flies.
- “Basic Jewelry Design and Bookmaking”—June 27-July 1, 9-11 a.m.; $99, plus $20 material fee payable to the instructor. Learn two skills in one workshop. This class covers the basics of jewelry design using simple wire and stones. It also includes the fundamentals of creating handmade books, journals and photo albums.
- “Beginning Waltz”—Thursdays and Fridays, July 14-22, 10-11:30 a.m.; $85 per single, $100 per couple. A beautiful, swaying dance, the waltz is the perfect choice for beginners, since its steps are the foundation patterns used in most ballroom dances. The class is also appropriate for those wishing to refresh their dance skills.
- “Spanish for Every Day”—July 18-22, 9-11:30 a.m.; $105. Learn Spanish grammar and conversation for everyday encounters. Vocabulary and phrases pertinent to individual situations are part of the course material. The class covers understanding, speaking, reading and writing basic Spanish.
- “Planning for Now and the Future!”—July 25-29, 8:30-10:30 a.m.; $89. Participants will learn the fundamental principles of investing, complex absolute return strategies and the basics of estate planning. Students leave this class with a properly executed advance care plan (living will).
To register or obtain more information on non-credit classes offered by BCS, visit www.pstcc.edu/bcs or call (865) 539-7167.