Fall registration is under way at Pellissippi State Community College, and the school has greatly expanded the selection of certificate programs available to students.
Pellissippi State’s certificates cover a broad range of academic disciplines and career areas—from business, computers and health science to engineering, media and education. Most certificates are “embedded” within specific degree programs, which means the classes for those certificates also count toward an associate’s degree.
“Earning a certificate offers students a benchmark along the way to a degree,” said Lois Reynolds, Pellissippi State’s interim vice president for Academic Affairs. “This gives students a sense of accomplishment, more confidence and increased motivation for continuing toward a degree.”
For non-degree-seeking students, certificate programs enable them to update or improve skills in their current field or support them in making a career change.
Pellissippi State currently offers these certificates. The ones marked with an asterisk will be available for the first time fall semester:
- 3D Parametric Modeling SolidWorks
- A+/Network+ Certification Preparation
- A.A./A.S. General Education Core
- A.A.S. General Education Core
- Accessible Web Design and Compliance
- Accounting Specialist
- Architectural AutoCAD Applications
- Basic Photography
- Construction Business Principles*
- Digital Imaging for Photography
- Document Specialist
- Early Childhood Education*
- E-Commerce Web Design
- Electrical Systems Technology*
- Electronic Health Records Specialist
- Electronics Technology
- General Culinary Arts
- General Hospitality
- Industrial Automation*
- Industrial Maintenance Technology
- Information Systems Fundamentals
- Interactive Web Design*
- Medical Insurance Coding and Reimbursement
- Mobile Web Design
- Pre-business Transfer
- Pre-health Science
- Producing for Video and Media Arts*
- Promotion Methods
- Sound Production
- Studio Photography*
- University Computer Science Preparation
- Video Editing
- Visual Communication for Graphic Design*
- Web Design Tools
- Web Page Authoring
The increase in the number of certificates offered is a result of changes made by Pellissippi State to meet the goals of the Complete College Tennessee Act.
A record number of degrees and certificates were awarded to students at Pellissippi State’s Commencement ceremony in May 2011. The college awarded 962 associate’s degrees and 553 certificates. The 2012 Commencement ceremony is May 4 at the University of Tennessee’s Thompson-Boling Arena.
Registration for fall started on April 2, and classes begin in late August.
Learn more about Pellissippi State at www.pstcc.edu or call (865) 694-6400.