The campuses of Pellissippi State Community College have events scheduled throughout the week leading up to Veterans Day. Veterans Day is celebrated Monday, Nov. 12, to honor veterans for their service.
Here are the highlights of the activities:
Hardin Valley Campus
- Thursday and Friday, Nov. 8-9—The campus hosts a display called “In Their Own Words.” The exhibit is a collection of stories, photos, and memorabilia by Pellissippi State veterans and their loved ones. The display is in the Rotunda of the Goins Building.
- Thursday, Nov. 8, 7:30 a.m.—Pellissippi State presents a breakfast for veterans in the Cafeteria Annex of the Goins Building.
- Thursday, Nov. 8, 11:30 a.m.—Gathering to thank veterans for their service. Cake and punch will be served in the Rotunda of the Goins Building.
The Hardin Valley Campus is located at 10915 Hardin Valley Road.
Blount County Campus
- Thursday and Friday, Nov. 8-9—The campus hosts a display of veterans’ memorabilia in the William “Keith” McCord Lobby.
- Friday, Nov. 9, 10:30 a.m.—Pellissippi State thanks veterans for their service at a gathering in the McCord Lobby. Cake will be served.
- Monday, Nov. 12, 2:30 p.m.—The campus hosts the “Military Uniform Through the Eyes of God,” a presentation by veteran Thomas Vananda in the West Chevrolet Auditorium. The event is sponsored by the Blount County Bible Club.
The Blount County Campus is located at 2731 W. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Friendsville.
Magnolia Avenue Campus
- Friday, Nov. 9, 9:30 a.m.—Participants gather in the plaza to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and sing “The Star-Spangled Banner.” There will be a display of military memorabilia provided by staff, faculty and students. Cake will be served in the Lobby.
- Nov. 9, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.—Luncheon for veterans by invitation only has been scheduled in the campus Community Room. Retired Major Max Lemons will be the luncheon speaker and his topic will be “Words of Encouragement.”
The Magnolia Avenue Campus is located at 1610 E. Magnolia Ave.
Strawberry Plains Campus
- Tuesday, Nov. 6, 10 a.m.—A screening of the movie “The Guardian” is scheduled in Room 2500 on the main floor. Popcorn will be served.
- Wednesday, Nov. 7—It’s Camo Day, and Pellissippi State is giving away footballs and lanyards donated by the National Guard. Pellissippi State’s Service-Learning program oversees the giveaway.
- Thursday, Nov. 8, 9:30 a.m.—American Legion Post 104 will raise the flag, display a military vehicle and set up a rock-climbing wall. Volunteers and canines with Smoky Mountain Service Dogs also will be present. The nonprofit group trains dogs to help people with disabilities, including disabled veterans.
The Strawberry Plains Campus is located at 7210 Strawberry Plains Pike.
To learn more about Pellissippi State, call (865) 694-6400 or visit www.pstcc.edu.
To request accommodations for a disability, contact the executive director of Human Resources and Affirmative Action at (865) 694-6607 or firstname.lastname@example.org.