Honor the service of veterans during National Veterans Awareness Week, a weeklong series of events surrounding Veterans Day. Veterans Day is Nov. 11, Veterans Awareness Week is Nov. 9-15, and on-campus events are Nov. 9-14.
Activities are taking place on all five campuses:
- 9, 10:30 a.m., Goins Building Auditorium — Veterans Resource Workshop: veteran-related organizations share information about resources and assistance to veterans.
- 10, 11 a.m., Auditorium — WBIR anchor John Becker discusses his “Service and Sacrifice” series, which focuses on the stories of veterans.
- 10, 11:30 a.m., Auditorium — Pellissippi State student Graham Watson recounts his experience hiking the Appalachian Trail with a group of veterans.
- 11, 7:30-9 a.m., Goins Building Cafeteria Annex — Free breakfast for students, faculty and staff who are veterans.
- 11, 10:50 a.m., Goins Building College Center — Free cake reception for students, faculty and staff who are veterans.
- 12, noon, Auditorium — Presentation by Ed Hooper, documentary filmmaker.
- 14, 10-noon, College Center — Women Veterans of America, Chapter 44, hosts an open house.
- 11, 10:35 a.m., First-Floor Lobby — Free cake reception for students, faculty and staff who are veterans.
- 11, 11 a.m., Student Lounge — Free cake reception for students, faculty and staff who are veterans.
- 11, 9 a.m., Courtyard — Veterans Day ceremony to acknowledge our veterans.
- 11, 11:55 a.m. — Grand opening of Veterans Gathering Place.
- 11, noon-1:30, Community Room — Free luncheon for students, faculty and staff who are veterans.
- 9, 10 a.m., begins at campus entrance — Students are invited to plant an American flag along the campus driveway in honor of veterans.
- 10, noon, Lobby — Pellissippi State alumnus and faculty member Terry Sisk delivers a presentation about the Revolutionary War. In collaboration with the Alumni Relations Office.
- 11, 11:45 a.m., flagpole in front of Jenny and Randy Boyd Building — The Tennessee National Guard leads a special flag ceremony in honor of Veterans Day.
In addition, all five campuses will have special displays featuring art, thank-you cards and memorabilia honoring veterans throughout the week.