Graduation RequirementsRequirements include the following:
- Minimum residence for associate’s degrees. At least 25 percent of the credit hours for an associate’s degree must be completed at Pellissippi State. In addition, at least 12 hours of coursework in the major preceding graduation with an Associate of Applied Science degree must be completed at Pellissippi State. Minimum residence for certificates. Thirty percent or more of the total credit hours required for certificate completion must be completed at Pellissippi State.
- Minimum credit hours. Each candidate must complete at least 60 credit hours to be eligible for the associate’s degree.
- Minimum grade-point average. A cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on all college-level coursework at Pellissippi State is required for graduation.
- Major studies. Completion of the curriculum for the chosen major is required for graduation.
- Degree application. Each prospective candidate must file an Intent to Graduate form during the semester preceding the semester of anticipated graduation. Students must log in to their myPellissippi account to apply for graduation online.
- Catalog option. The student must meet the requirements for graduation under any one catalog in effect during the student’s attendance at Pellissippi State, provided that the catalog used is within six years of the date of graduation for degree programs. Articulation agreements may specify shorter completion periods. This option does not exempt anyone from the general requirements of Pellissippi State.
- Exit testing. As required by public policy, a student may, as a prerequisite for graduation, be required to take one or more tests designed to measure achievement in general education and in the major. The purpose of such examinations is to evaluate the effectiveness of the College or the program. Participation in testing may be required of all students, in selected programs, and/or of students selected on a sample basis. In order to comply fully with this provision, students must authorize the release of their scores to the College. Unless otherwise provided for in an individual major, however, no minimum score or level of achievement is required for graduation. Individual student scores are confidential. Students not complying with requested testing provisions will have their transcripts and diplomas placed on hold.
- Candidates for the Associate of Science in Teaching degree must attain a 2.75 grade-point average, successfully complete the Praxis I exam and achieve satisfactory disposition assessment ratings. All AST students must meet the requirements of state law (TCA 49-5-413) by submitting to a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation criminal history records check and supplying a fingerprint sample.
- Candidates for a second associate’s degree must meet the following
- The first degree must have been awarded by Pellissippi State or another associate’s degree-granting institution of higher learning.
- A minimum of 15 semester hours of coursework must have been completed at Pellissippi State beyond requirements for the first associate’s degree.
- All curriculum requirements for Pellissippi State must be met.
- A 2.0 grade point average must be attained on all college-level coursework.
An annual commencement exercise is scheduled at the end of each spring semester.