Culinary students
Instructor assisting student on the computer
Nursing student with Sim man

College Catalog

Student Complaints

Pellissippi State Community College strives to provide the best instructional atmosphere and level of service to students. At times, however, students may have an issue, concern or complaint regarding their educational experience. In such cases, the College strives to resolve issues as quickly as possible and at the level closest to the issue.

Students should follow the procedures listed below to resolve their concerns or complaints.

Filing a Complaint

Informal Resolution

The first step a student should take in resolving a concern or complaint is to directly address the faculty member, staff member or student in question.There may be some cases in which a student might feel uncomfortable directly addressing the faculty or staff member. If this is the case, the student should speak to the academic dean in the case of a faculty member, or to the supervisor in the case of a staff member. If the issue is with another student, and the student with the concern is uncomfortable addressing the other student, he or she may contact Safety and Security or the vice president of Student Affairs a tthe Pellissippi Campus or the assistant dean at the Division Street, MagnoliaAvenue or Blount County Campus. If there is no resolution at that level, the student may file a formal, written complaint.

Formal Resolution

Students who have attempted informal resolution to their complaints and need further resolution may file a formal complaint. Students should fully complete and submit the electronic student complaint form, located at This form will be submitted to the appropriate vice president over the area in which the student has a concern. The vice president(or designee) will conduct an investigation within 10 working days of receiving the complaint. The vice president (or designee) will communicate the outcome of the investigation to the student in no more than 30 working days of receiving the complaint.

Students or prospective students who wish to file a complaint related to accreditation or regarding violations of state law not resolved at the institution may submit a student complaint form to the Tennessee Board of Regents at 1415 Murfreesboro Road, Suite 340, Nashville 37217, or by going online and filing out the form electronically at UnderTennessee’s open records law, all or parts of complaints will generally be available for review upon request from a member of the public.

Complaints regarding accreditation also can be made by contacting theSouthern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, (404) 679-4500 ( of fraud, waste or abuse may be made by email at or by calling the Tennessee Comptroller’s Hotline for Fraud,Waste and Abuse at (800) 232-5454.

Complaints regarding discrimination or harassment should be directed to the College’s affirmative action officer.

Return to The Catalog Index
Return to the Academic Information Index