Culinary students
Instructor assisting student on the computer
Nursing student with Sim man

College Catalog

General Requirements

Residency classification. Upon a student’s admission to the College, Enrollment Services classifies each student as resident or nonresident.

Enrollment Services may require proof of relevant facts regarding residency. Students who disagree with the initial decision may appeal to the director of Admissions and Communication Center. Students who still disagree may appeal in writing to the assistant vice president of Enrollment Services. Go to this link for an Application for In-State Residency: residency_application.pdf.

Proof of language proficiency by non-native speakers. All applicants whose native language is not English must satisfy one of the following prerequisites before being granted admission to Pellissippi State. Please note that all nonnative English speakers who are living outside the United States at the time of application to Pellissippi State must submit valid Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores.

  1. Submit a minimum score on the TOEFL:
    • 450 required on the paper-based TOEFL.
    • 45 required on the internet-based TOEFL.
  2. Submit a minimum overall band score of 4.0 on the IELTS. Each subtest band score must be at least 3.0.
  3. Achieve a passing score on the Michigan Test. Please note that this option is valid only for students who are living in Knoxville, Tennessee, at the time of application to Pellissippi State. The Michigan Test can be attempted only twice per academic year (August-July). Testing appointments can be made by contacting the international student coordinator.
  4. Submit a transcript showing graduation from a U.S. high school or completion of the General Educational Development (GED) exam. Please note that the GED must be taken in English to satisfy the English proficiency requirement.
  5. Submit a transcript showing satisfactory completion (a grade of at least C) of college-level English Composition I from a U.S. college or university.

Admission of international applicants. A person who is a citizen or a permanent resident of a country other than the United States is classified as an international applicant. In addition to the admissions procedures for beginning freshmen or transfer students, international applicants must comply with the following:

  1. All transcripts, test scores, and other credentials must be written in English or accompanied by an English translation and certified as official copies. Students who have attended international colleges or universities and request to be awarded transfer credit must have their academic transcripts evaluated by an educational credential service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A list of member organizations is available at Copies of the credit recommendations from the educational credential service must be provided, in addition to copies of English-translated transcripts from colleges/universities attended. Transfer credit awarded will take into consideration the credit recommendations provided by the educational credential service.
  2. International applicants who plan to study in the United States on an F-1 student visa must
    • Provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to pay for the cost of one full year of school attendance and 12 months of living expenses in U.S. currency. The financial verification documentation must be current within six months, must be original (no photocopies, scans or faxes) and must be issued by a financial institution either inside or outside the U.S.
    • Provide documentation substantiating official status with the United States Customs and Immigration Service.
    • Provide a copy of their Form I-94.
    • Submit within 30 days from the first day of classes a certificate from a licensed physician or other qualified medical authority verifying freedom from tuberculosis. Failure to submit such certification shall result in denial of admission or continued enrollment. In the event that a student has tuberculosis or has potential tuberculosis requiring medical treatment, continued enrollment will be conditional upon the determination by a licensed physician that further enrollment is not a risk to others and upon the student’s compliance with any prescribed medical treatment.
    • As a condition of admission and continued enrollment, enroll in the TBR Student/Scholar Health and Accident Insurance Plan (students with J, F or M visas; students with J visas must also carry adequate medical and hospitalization insurance for spouses and dependents). Enrollment in the insurance plan will take place no later than at the time of class registration, and the cost of the coverage will be added to the student’s registration fees. Waivers of this requirement may be received only after presenting proof of outside insurance coverage to the international student coordinator. All health insurance waiver requests must be made to the international student coordinator prior to the first day of class in each semester. Health insurance premiums will not be refunded after the payment is submitted to the insurance provider under any circumstances. Health insurance premiums cannot be prorated unless allowed by the health insurance provider.
    • Meet with the international student coordinator in Enrollment Services on arrival in the United States, and attend an International Student Orientation session (typically scheduled within the first week of classes each semester).


Return to The Catalog Index
Return to the Admissions & Registration Index