Pellissippi State will refund a portion of the maintenance, out-of-state, technology, special course and Regents Online Degree Programs fees to any student who officially drops, withdraws or is dismissed from a course(s) within the drop/withdrawal deadline. Refunds are disbursed at the end of the refund period. Refund checks of more than $5 will be mailed approximately the fourth or fifth week in each semester. Refunds of $5 or less must be claimed at the Cashier’s Office at any campus. Refunds totaling $5 or less will not be mailed. All fees except maintenance, out-of-state, technology, special course fees and RODP fees are nonrefundable. Refer to the Student Enrollment Guide published each semester or visit www.pstcc.edu/bursar for specific refund periods.
Pellissippi State complies with the federal laws concerning refunds and repayments. Pellissippi State follows the Return of Title IV Funds regulations published by the federal government on November 1, 1999, to calculate and process the return of Title IV funds when students officially withdraw or quit attending class. Refunds will be credited to the Title IV accounts as appropriate and may not be disbursed to the student. In some situations, students who do not complete classes may owe repayments to both Pellissippi State and the federal government. Students may obtain further information and examples of refund and return calculations in the Financial Aid Office. In addition, Pellissippi State will distribute refunds to sources of other aids (i.e., Vocational Rehabilitation, Veterans Affairs, PIC, waivers, scholarships, etc.) to the extent fees were paid by other aids prior to any disbursement to the student.
Students may appeal a refund by completing a Refund Appeal form outlining the basis for the appeal, attaching supporting documentation when applicable and submitting the form to the Pellissippi State bursar. Refund requests will be decided by the Cashier’s Office. The student will be notified of the decision within 30 working days of receipt of the request. The Refund Appeal form can be accessed on the Cashier’s Office Web page at www.pstcc.edu/bursar or at the Cashier’s Office at any campus. The Refund Appeal form, with supporting documentation, can be delivered to the Cashier’s Office at any campus, mailed to the College, faxed to (865) 539-7207 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may appeal the decision by submitting a written request for a refund appeal review to the Office of the Vice President of Business and Finance. The student will be notified in writing of the decision within 15 working days of receipt of the request for refund appeal review. Refund amounts will be calculated per the following provisions:
Maintenance fee refund.
- Full refunds (100 percent) are given for courses canceled by Pellissippi State.
- Dropping and adding an equal number of credit hours for the same term and session at the same time requires no refund or payment of additional maintenance fees.
- The fee adjustment is calculated as the difference between (1) the cost of originally enrolled hours and (2) the per credit hour cost of the courses dropped. Adjustments are calculated at the full per credit hour rate less the fee adjustment credit at the applicable fee adjustment percentage (regardless of the original number of hours enrolled) For students dropping courses resulting in a change from full-time status to part-time status, a fee adjustment in the tuition and fees will result only if the new calculated charges are less than the original charges. Not all drops/withdrawals will result in a fee adjustment.
- The basic refund for withdrawals or drops during regular terms (fall and spring) is 75 percent from the start of classes through the 14th calendar day. From the 14th day up to 25 percent of the length of the term, the refund is 25 percent. There is no refund after the 25 percent period ends.
- For summer sessions and other short terms, the 75 percent refund period and the 25 percent refund period will extend a length of time which is the same proportion of the session as the 75 percent and 25 percent periods are of the regular terms.
- All refund periods are rounded to whole days, and the date of the end of the refund period will be included in publications or available at www. pstcc.edu/bursar. In calculating the 75 percent period for other than the fall or spring, and in calculating the 25 percent length of the term in all cases, the number of calendar days during the term will be considered.
- A full refund (100 percent) is provided on behalf of a student whose death occurs during the term. Any indebtedness will be offset against the refund.
- A full refund (100 percent) is provided for students who enroll during Registration but who drop or withdraw prior to the beginning of classes.
- A full refund (100 percent) is provided to students who are compelled by Pellissippi State to withdraw when it is determined that through Pellissippi State error they were academically ineligible for enrollment or were not properly admitted to enroll for the course(s) being dropped. In each case, an appropriate official must certify in writing that the provision is applicable.
- When a course is included in a regular term’s registration process for administrative convenience but the course does not begin until later in the term, the 75 percent/25 percent refunds will be based on the particular course’s beginning and ending dates. This provision does not apply to classes during the fall or spring terms that may meet only once per week. Those courses will follow the same refund dates as other regular courses for the term.
Nonresident/out-of-state tuition refund. This fee is refundable under the same provisions as the maintenance fee.
Campus access fee refund. This fee is nonrefundable.
Student activity fee refund. This fee is nonrefundable.
Student Recreation Center fee refund. This fee is nonrefundable.
Technology fee refund. This fee is refundable when the student drops below 8 hours or completely withdraws from all hours. When the above conditions are met, the fee is refundable under the same provisions as the maintenance fee.
Sustainable campus fee refund. This fee is nonrefundable.
Special course fee refund. This fee is refundable when the student drops from the course that generated the fee. When the course is dropped, the fee is refundable under the same provisions as the maintenance fee.
Regents Online Degree Programs fee refund. This fee is refundable when the student drops a RODP course. When the course is dropped, the fee is refundable under the same provisions as the maintenance fee.
Continuing education (Business and Community Services) program refund. Refunds are given only if the class is canceled by Pellissippi State or if notification of desire to withdraw is received two days before the starting date of the class. No refunds can be made after the class starting date, because the classes are started on the basis of enrollment and accompanying fees.