Culinary students
Instructor assisting student on the computer
Nursing student with Sim man

College Catalog

Veterans Educational Assistance

Pellissippi State maintains a Veterans Affairs Office at the Pellissippi Campus in the Financial Aid Office. Personnel cooperate with the Veterans Administration in providing educational opportunities for veterans and eligible people under appropriate public laws. The office is responsible for maintaining veterans’ needs related to educational benefits, assisting in recruitment of prospective veterans as students, providing information to organizations concerned about veterans’ benefits, and for counseling and tutorial assistance to eligible people on campus. Upon accepting veterans educational assistance, the student assumes responsibility for all rules and regulations of the Veterans Administration.

Veterans wishing to apply for educational benefits (except students who transfer from regionally accredited schools) must submit high school/GED transcripts and/or transcripts from accredited colleges attended. All veterans and Guard/Reserve recipients must submit a DD-214 copy to Enrollment Services and the school certifying official for transfer credit evaluation. These documents must be submitted within the first semester of attendance or further registration for courses will not be permitted.

VA forms. The VA Form 22-1990, Veterans Application for Program of Education or Training and Enrollment Certification, must be completed at www. If benefits have previously been used for educational assistance, veterans must complete VA Form 22-1995 and submit the DD214. The application and all supporting documents should be submitted for processing to the Financial Aid/Veterans Office at least eight weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which the veteran wishes to attend and course registration should be complete. Advance pay is available to early applicants except those using the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Veterans Administration policy. VA regulations forbid the school certifying official from certifying for benefits any course that has been transferred from another school. Veterans may not be certified for a course for which they have received an I grade unless the I converts to an F grade. Veterans may repeat courses with pay only if the previous grade is an F. Veterans should consult with the Veterans Affairs Office staff prior to changing course load or majors and then complete the actual change. Veterans should renew the benefits certification during June of each year and during April if enrolling for the summer session.

Advance payment. Veterans who make application for admission and veterans benefits at least 30 days before the starting date of the semester of attendance and who are registered for eligible courses may receive at least one month’s pay at the beginning of that semester. This check is disbursed by the College. Following this disbursement, the regular monthly pay amount may be deposited directly to the student’s bank account or received by mail. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office for a request form. The amount of pay varies with different programs. Call Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 to determine pay amounts. Enrollment hours determine the percentage of full pay—12 or more hours of eligible classes allows full pay, 9-11 hours allows 75 percent of full pay, 6-8 hours allows 50 percent of full pay and less than 6 hours allows only the amount of tuition and regular fees.

Eligibility for deferment of payment of tuition and fees by certain eligible students receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or other governmentally funded educational assistance benefits. Service members, veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of the term for which the deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term, and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered, and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments. This notice is published pursuant to Public Chapter 279, Acts of 2003, effective July 1, 2003.

Pellissippi State’s Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office can provide additional information and the required forms. Students may also apply for a Student Emergency Loan to assist with the purchase of books.

Advisement. Veterans should work closely with advisors in selecting and scheduling courses since courses not listed under a major are generally not payable by the VA.

Note: Generally, veterans should not enroll in physical education courses, since credit from the DD-214 will satisfy the P.E. requirements for graduation. Miscellaneous:

  • Veterans can be paid for learning support courses if testing determines a need for the courses. The VA requires that students attend classroom instruction for learning support courses. Distance learning for these courses is not payable. Selected independent study courses approved by the dean are payable. Credit by examination will not be counted as a course eligible for benefits pay. Most co-op courses are not payable by VA benefits.
  • Veterans may have dual majors in certain combinations; questions may be directed to Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs for the specific majors.
  • VA tutorial benefits and veterans work-study are available to certain veterans and dependents of veterans. Students should see the Financial Aid/ Veterans Affairs Office for more information.
  • Veterans should also apply for other financial aid.
  • All benefits recipients should obtain a copy of Pellissippi State’s Veterans Educational Benefits Information brochure at the Financial Aid Office.
  • VA benefits are paid for accelerated classes only during the enrollment dates for that class.
  • Benefits recipients must call 1-877-823-2378 (or use the W.A.V.E. link at at the end of each month that benefits are to be received. This contact will cause the monthly check to be deposited in the recipient’s account.
  • Veterans benefits recipients may be eligible for tuition assistance in addition to regular benefits. Check with the Financial Aid Office for this application procedure.

Attendance. Regular attendance is required to receive veterans’ benefit pay. Instructors are required to report non-attendance of veterans to the Veterans Affairs Office, which reports non-attendance to the Veterans Administration Regional Office. Payments are adjusted or canceled if attendance is not regular.

The Veterans Administration Regional Office in St. Louis may be contacted toll-free by calling 1-888-442-4551. Veteran benefits recipients may also use the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Web site to correspond about benefits concerns or to find current regulation information. The Web address is not case-specific: or Hours carried during a semester must be reported to the VA at 877-823-2378 at the end of each month for which pay will be received.

Return to The Catalog Index
Return to the Financial Information Index