TBR General Education Core and Transferability of Courses Among TBR Institutions
Effective as of fall semester 2004, each institution in the State University and Community College System of Tennessee (the Tennessee Board of Regents System) shares a common lower-division general education core curriculum of 41 semester hours for baccalaureate degrees and the Associate of Arts and the Associate of Science degrees. “Lower-division” means freshman and sophomore courses. The courses composing the general education curriculum are contained within the following subject categories:
Baccalaureate degrees and Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees*:
|Humanities/Fine Arts|| 9 hours
(At least one course must be literature)
|Social/Behavioral Sciences||6 hours|
|Natural Sciences||8 hours|
* Foreign language courses are an additional requirement for the Associate of Arts (A.A.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees. The B.A. degree requires proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to completion of two years of college-level work. The A.A. degree requires proficiency in a language equivalent to completion of one year of college-level work.
** Six hours of English composition and 3 hours in English oral presentational communication are required.
*** Students may choose from HIST 1010-1020, 1110-2120, 2010-2020. Students who plan to transfer to University of Tennessee System universities or to out-of-state or private universities should check requirements and take the appropriate courses.
Although the courses designated by Tennessee Board of Regents institutions to fulfill the requirements of the general education subject categories vary, transfer of the courses is assured through the following means:
- Upon completion of an A.A or A.S. degree, the requirements of the lower-division general education core will be complete and accepted by a TBR university in the transfer process.
- If an A.A. or A.S. is not obtained, transfer of general education courses will be based upon fulfillment of complete subject categories. (Example: If all 8 hours in the category of Natural Sciences are complete, then this “block” of the general education core is complete.) When a subject category is incomplete, course-by-course evaluation will be conducted. The provision of block fulfillment pertains also to students who transfer among TBR universities.
- Institutional/departmental requirements of the grade of C will be honored. Even if credit is granted for a course, any specific requirements for the grade of C by the receiving institution will be enforced.
- In certain majors, specific courses must be taken also in general education. It is important that students and advisors be aware of any major requirements that must be fulfilled under lower-division general education.
A complete listing of the courses fulfilling general education requirements for all system institutions is available on the TBR Web site (www.tbr.edu) under Transfer and Articulation Information.