Back to top of page
Nursing as a Career
Are you considering becoming a registered nurse? There are many good reasons to become an RN!
- Employment of registered nurses is projected to grow more than any other occupation in the U.S. through 2016
- By 2020, more than 808,000 jobs for registered nurses are expected to be unfilled in the U.S.
- Average annual salary of $65,000 in 2008
- Many work place opportunities: hospitals, private practice, home health, nursing homes, schools, mental health, primary-care clinics, public health, outpatient facilities, military
- Most importantly, ability to provide competent, caring services to patients with medical needs
Steps to becoming and R.N.:
- Take your general education courses. Pellissippi State provides all the Pellissippi State general education courses for our own nursing program, as well as pre-requisite courses for all the other area nursing schools.
- Apply to our nursing school and/or other nursing school(s) of your choice. Acceptance is based on grades and other criteria.
- Take nursing classes for approximately two years.
- Following graduation, pass the NCLEX licensing exam to become an R.N.
Why take your nursing general education courses at Pellissippi State?
- Caring faculty who offer individual attention
- Specially trained pre-nursing advisors to help you choose the courses you need
- Small classes - average class size of 20 students
- Convenience - many classes are offered online and in traditional settings, at four locations
- Low cost - just over $1,400 per semester - one of the best educational values around
For additional information about nursing as a career and how to become a nurse, please go to:
Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in Nursing School?