Fast Forward (Dual Enrollment)
What is Fast Forward?
Fast Forward provides the perfect opportunity for high school students to reap the rewards of college coursework while still in high school. The program allows high school students to earn college and high school credit for the same course. Students enroll in college-level courses that are taught at their high school or attended at one of our campuses.
Why should I participate?
Fast Forward students have the opportunity to acquire college credit while satisfying their high school credits. Students are able to participate in challenging college-level courses while getting a head start on completing a future college credential and potentially saving money in the process.
What are the eligibility criteria?
To qualify for general education and business courses you must:
- Have an unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have a minimum ACT score of 18 in English and 19 in Reading if you wish to take a course that does not involve math skills
- Have a minimum ACT score of 19-26 in Math (depending on the class), 19 in Reading, and 18 in English if you wish to take a course that does involve math skills
- ACT requirements for popular dual enrollment math courses are as follows:
- MATH 1130 (College Algebra) - 21 Math ACT
- MATH 1530 (Elementary Probability & Statistics) - 19 Math ACT
- MATH 1710 (Precalculus Algebra) - 22 Math ACT
- MATH 1730 (Precalculus) - 23 ACT
- MATH 1910 (Calculus) - 26 Math ACT
To qualify for non-general education, non-business courses, you must:
- Have an unweighted high school GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Have a minimum of 13's on each sub-section of the ACT
- Meet the minimum requirements for the course you wish to take
*NOTE: Only juniors and seniors are eligible for the Fast Forward Grant.
Am I a good fit?
- Are you mature?
- Are you responsible?
- Do you take initiative?
- Are you a good student?
- Are you ready to make the sacrifices necessary to perform well in your college courses?
Each of these qualities present a significant advantage and are typically found in successful Fast Forward students.
I'm interested. What do I do now?
Please view the Fast Forward Checklist for details and next steps.
Things to be aware of
Fast Forward students are treated the same as all other Pellissippi State students. In fact, unless a student self-discloses, it is entirely possible that his or her professor will never know that a dual enrollment student is in the class. It is also important to remember that Fast Forward courses become part of a student's permanent college transcript. No matter where you plan to attend college after graduation, a copy of your Pellissippi transcript will be required. Finally, please keep in mind that college professors cannot speak with parents about student attendance, grades, etc. unless the student signs a waver form. This is true even if the student is a minor.
Feel free to take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page.