student in classroom
Student sitting at a desk writing
Two male students in a classroom with female teacher leaning over them, pointing to papers on desk


What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment affords high school students the opportunity to to obtain college credit while still in high school.  Credits earned typically count toward high school graduation requirements as well as toward post-secondary certificate or degree completion.

What steps do I need to take in order to get enrolled?

Please see the Dual Enrollment Checklist page for a detailed list of steps.

I am torn between Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement (AP).  What is the difference?

Both dual enrollment and AP courses allow high school students to receive college credit for the course.  The primary difference lies in how that credit is awarded. 

AP courses are taught by high school teachers using a prescribed curriculum.  Students must take an exam and receive a certain score (typically a 3, 4 or 5) in order to receive college credit.  Conceivably, a student could perform well in the class and receive an A or a B, but then fail to make a 3 or higher on the AP exam, thus not receiving college credit.

Dual Enrollment courses, on the other hand, award credit based solely on the grade a student earns for the course.  These classes are typically taught by a Pellissippi State instructor, though high school teachers who serve as adjunct instructors are permitted to teach courses. 

Will dual enrollment classes transfer to other colleges and universities?

Most general education courses will transfer to Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) institutions and to University of Tennessee. Please consult the Course Catalog for details regarding transfers to these institutions.  If you plan to attend a private or out-of-state institution, please contact that school to inquire about transfers.

What courses may Dual Enrollment students take?

Dual Enrollment students may take any class for which they meet the prerequisites and/or eligibility requirements. Please see the Popular Dual Enrollment Courses page for more information. Please note, however, that the English Composition sequence is reserved for high school seniors. For more information on this policy, please review this document

What are the eligibility requirements for Dual Enrollment?

Please see the Dual Enrollment Checklist for details.

What if I haven't taken the ACT or didn't score well enough to qualify for Dual Enrollment?

All Dual Enrollment students must submit ACT scores (PLAN scores are acceptable for juniors only).  These scores along with high school GPA are used to determine student eligibility for the Dual Enrollment program. 

Is there a list of non-General Education courses I can take?

Please see the Popular Dual Enrollment Courses page for information on our non-General Education courses.

How do I register for dual enrollment courses?

Detailed instructions for registering for courses online can be found here.

What if I decide not to take a Dual Enrollment course?

If you have previously registered for a class at Pellissippi State, it is imperative that you log into your myPellissippi account in order to officially drop the class.  You will need to do so prior to the first day of classes in order to avoid any charges.  Please see the Academic Calendar for details regarding withdrawal deadlines.

How do I get the books and supplies I need?

You may visit the Pellissippi State Bookstore website where you can access a detailed list of required books for your course.  You may also call the bookstores as follows:

Hardin Valley Campus - 865-694-6642

Blount County Campus - 865-981-5311

Magnolia Avenue Campus - 865-329-3114

Division Street Campus - 865-673-5023 

What if I decide to drop a dual enrollment course?

Dual Enrollment students should always consult their guidance counselor (or parent if homeschooled) prior to dropping a course, to ensure that needed credits can be obtained by other means.  Students taking classes at one of our campuses may log into their myPellissippi account to drop their class(es). Students taking courses at their high school must have their guidance counselor contact Pellissippi State so that we can remove them from the class.

It is important to remember that students cannot simply stop attending a class. Formal withdrawal must take place. Depending on the date of the withdrawal, students may or may not receive a grade of "W."  Refunds and fees due also vary depending on the withdrawal date. Please see the Enrollment Guide or Academic Calendar for details regarding withdrawal deadlines.

Do students have to be a certain age before they can participate in Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment students typically begin taking courses during the junior year (which is when they become eligible for the Dual Enrollment Grant).  However, students willing to pay for their courses out of pocket who meet our eligibility criteria and demonstrate proper maturity are typically permitted to take courses.  Students must have the appropriate high school GPA and ACT scores in order to enroll.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Dual Credit?

The followings definitions were approved by the P – 16 Council of Tennessee on June 2008:

  • Dual Credit is a postsecondary course or a high school course aligned to a postsecondary course that is taught at the high school by high school faculty for high school credit. Students are able to receive postsecondary credit by successfully completing the course, plus passing the assessment developed and/or recognized by the granting postsecondary institution. The institution will grant the credit upon enrollment of the student.
  • Dual Enrollment is a postsecondary course, taught either at the postsecondary institution or at the high school, by the postsecondary faculty (may be credentialed adjunct faculty), which, upon successful completion of the course, allows students to earn postsecondary and secondary credit concurrently. The student must meet dual enrollment eligibility under the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) and University of Tennessee (UT) policies.

Can Dual Enrollment students take online courses?

Yes, Dual Enrollment students may take online courses.  However, we do not typically recommend online courses to our Dual Enrollment students because these courses present additional challenges calling for even greater initiative, discipline, and self-motivation.  Though some dual enrollment students have performed well in online courses, we recommend that you stick with traditional courses if at all possible. 

How do I apply for the Dual Enrollment Grant?

You must apply for the grant online at the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) web site.  You can find the application here.

I received a letter/phone call saying that I will be dropped from my classes for non-payment.  What should I do?

To prevent your classes from being dropped, you are required to pay any outstanding fees by the deadline outlined in the Enrollment Guide.  If you have applied for the Dual Enrollment Grant, but those funds have not posted to your account by the deadline, you will need to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed.  It is the responsibility of the student to insure he or she is actually eligible for the grant.  For students taking classes solely at their high school there are typically no additional fees and no need to confirm attendance.  Students taking classes at one of our campuses must pay the campus access fee and confirm attendance.  This can be done by logging into your myPellissippi account.

We have a vacation scheduled during the high schools's spring break, but Pellissippi State classes are in session that week.  What should I do?

Dual Enrollment students are expected to adhere to the Pellissippi State course schedule.  This means there may be occasions when your high school is not in session, yet you are required to attend your dual enrollment courses.  It is advisable that families review travel plans in light of the Pellissippi State calendar.

Can I speak with my child's instructor about his or her progress in class? 


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

What this means is that your child's instructor is not able to share information with you without his or her written consent.  Waiver forms are available at the Admissions Office of the Hardin Valley Campus. Students must complete the form in person and present a picture ID.

How do I request a Pellissippi State transcript?

For information about requesting transcripts, please visit our Records Office FAQ page.

Click here for printable directions: Transcript Request Directions