Carmen Brown, M.S.
Spring 2017 schedule
- ENGL 0920 - Composition Processes
- ENGL 1010 - English Composition I
- ENGL 1020 - English Composition II
- ESOL 0921 - Reading
- Post Graduate, English, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- M.S., Teacher Education, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2005
- B.A., Communication, Carson-Newman University, 1992
My teaching philosophy is grounded in the fundamental truth that I must acknowledge and applaud the whole person in order for authentic learning experiences to occur in the writing classroom. Many times, this practice includes deconstruction of harmful writing practices tied to negative emotional experiences, such as fear, intimidation, and failure, in former writing environments. As coach, my role is to help the student unlock his or her inner power and writer's voice by the creation of instructional methods and a learning environment that is both safe and warm and committed to personal excellence.
- “Border Shadows” (poem), Abby of the Arts, March 5, 2015
- "My Truth," Academic Exchange Journal, July 2006