Welcome to the English Department!
The mission of the English Department at Pellissippi State Community College is to educate and to improve the reading, writing, speaking, and critical thinking skills of our students so that they may pursue further education, obtain gainful employment in our global economy, make a meaningful contribution to their community as engaged citizens, and continue to learn throughout their lives.
Department faculty will encourage the development of our students’ ability to read closely, to think critically and logically, to analyze and interpret texts, to contextualize texts historically and culturally, and to write effectively and persuasively.
In English Department courses, students will learn the following:
- To think creatively and employ problem-solving skills through the study of effective reading and composition processes and participation in academic discussion.
- To employ effective grammar, diction, and syntax in order to produce writing that exhibits fluency and exactness of expression.
- To develop analytical reading skills that promote a greater understanding of literary diversity and universal thematic content.
- To recognize the historical, social, cultural, and theoretical context of literature in order to enhance appreciation.
- To collect, analyze, synthesize, and document information from multiple sources.
- To craft rhetorically appropriate responses which address a specific purpose, engage a selected audience, and employ a suitable tone.