The NEXT Classroom
The New, Emerging and eXperimental Classroom (The NEXT Classroom) was developed to support:
- Flexibility in the landscape of the classroom including furniture and projection options
- Flexibility in the software of the classroom including laptop based computer lab, dual-boot computers, open source and freeware software
- Emphasis on student generated content
- A testbed for new technology being considered for widespread deployment
- A location for smaller pilot tests of technology or teaching techniques not expected to be widely utilized due to costs or specificity of needs
Classes have been taught in the NEXT Classroom for three semesters now and it is continually evaluated and updated.
The development process was blogged on the TechTech blog and documented via video.
The instructor dashboard is used by NEXT Classroom instructors for communication and awareness of what is available in the room.