Pellissippi State Hardin Valley Campus
Exterior of Goins Building
Pellissippi State aerial view

Accounts Payable

Contact Us

10915 Hardin Valley Rd
PO Box 22990
Knoxville, TN 37933-0990
Goins Bldg, Room 223

Accounts Payable Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need to inventory the order?

Shipping and Receiving identifies the items received and completes a key-rec form. You should inventory the items delivered to your office against the key-rec and the vendor packing information. Many vendors require early notification of incorrect, missing, or damaged items.

What should I do if there is a problem with my order?

The Purchasing Department should be contacted immediately if your order is missing items, incorrect or damaged. You can contact Purchasing by calling 694-6601.

If items are missing from the shipment, Purchasing will contact the vendor to have the missing items shipped.

If the order is shipped incorrectly or the merchandise is damaged, Purchasing will notify the vendor.

What should I do if merchandise must be returned to the vendor?

All returned good must be processed through the Shipping/Receiving Department.

The returned good process is as follows:

  1. Contact the Purchasing Department at 694-6601 to obtain a Return Authorization (RTG) number. Purchasing will contact the vendor if a Vendor's Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number is required.
  2. Complete a Return Authorization* form providing all requested information. Keep a copy for department records.
  3. Package the merchandise for return. Include a copy of the RTG form and a copy of the invoice, if available.
  4. Contact Shipping/Receiving at 694-6432 to schedule the pickup of the returned goods.

Note: Merchandise should never be returned to a vendor before contacting Purchasing Office.

What should I do when an order is received as a partial shipment?

Accounts Payable will notify the financial manager of all items invoiced by the vendor and of any items listed as on backorder.

This information should be compared with your records verifying actual receipt of goods.

Once verification is complete, the appropriate financial manager or designee will enter the receiving in PelliBiz.

Contact Accounts Payable immediately if there is a discrepancy in the merchandise received.

Who can authorize payment of merchandise?

The responsible financial manager or designee for the requisitioning department authorizes payment.

An invoice was sent to the department. What should I do?

The invoice should be forwarded to the Accounts Payable Office, Goins 223.

When would I do a request for payment?

All merchandise or services being purchased or reviewed for purchase must be processed and ordered by the Purchasing Department. There are only a few exceptions to this requirement. The exceptions may be reviewed by referring to the Purchase Processing Procedures.

* Viewing this material requires the latest version of Adobe Reader software be installed on your computer.  Once installed, this material may be completed, printed, and saved to your computer.