Students are selected for verification by the Department of Education. Institutions must verify the information provided, on the FAFSA, by the student/spouse and/or parents before an award can be offered to the student. Pellissippi State students who are selected for verification may check for their required verification documents through myPellissippi (instructions below). It is very important to complete all required documents to the Financial Aid office as soon as possible. Delays in response or submission of verification documentation will delay the offer of a student’s financial aid award package. Students who are eligible for Tennessee Educational Lottery Scholarships may also be chosen for verification even if they qualify for no other aid. Verification must be completed before an award can be offered to the student by Pellissippi State. Please contact the Pellissippi State Financial Aid Office if you have questions or if you are unsure if you have been selected for verification. Staff are available to assist students with any questions or concerns regarding their eligibility. Please refer to your FAFSA Checklist to assist you with this process.
Most Common Requirements:
Clarification of Marital Status – The student and/or parent’s marital status does NOT match their tax filing status on the FAFSA. PSCC will need to verify the student and/or parent’s current marital status.
Clarification Statement – Something submitted on the FAFSA does not match what is on the verification worksheet(s). The student will need to read their message and provide a statement to clarify which information is correct.
Household Verification Worksheet – This form is to verify who is in the student’s household and how many are attending college at least half time.
Income Verification Worksheet – This form is to verify whether student and/or parent worked and filed taxes, received social security benefits, received child support, or other untaxed income.
Verification of Low Income – This is a form to verify how someone with an unusually low income supports themselves.
Child Support Verification Worksheet – This form is to verify how much child support is paid for the year.
Proof of Citizenship – The student needs to verify their citizenship status by providing a US Passport, Cert of Citizenship, Cert of Naturalization, I-94, VISA, Alien Registration Receipt Card I-151, Resident Alien Card I 551, Permanent Resident Card I-551
BA Degree – This is verify that you currently have a Bachelor’s Degree.
Waiting Auth from FAFSA to Complete File-NO ACTION NEEDED – We have submitted a correction to your FAFSA based on the verification worksheets you have submitted.
Requirement: IRS Data Retrieval Tool or Tax Transcript with W2s
Option #1 (Recommended): Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in your FAFSA
(NOTE: For help with the IRS Data Retreival Tool, please call FAFSA at 1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY line: 1-800-730-8913)
- Step 1: Login to your FAFSA (click here to open in new tab/window).
- Step 2: Follow the steps in this video:
Option #2: Request a Tax Return Transcript via postal mail ONLINE (Recommended if Data Retrieval Tool does not work)
(NOTE: For help with this, please call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 [Monday-Friday])
Go to www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript and click on "Get Transcript by MAIL." Fill out the requested information and submit. It typically takes 7-10 business days to receive them via postal mail. Return this and all W2's to the financial aid office as soon as possible.
Option #3: Order a Tax Return Transcript AND Wage Transcript by PHONE (Takes 5-7 Business Days To Receive)
Call toll-free 1-800-908-9946 and request a TAX RETURN transcript and WAGE transcript. These will arrive via postal mail. Once received, return the transcripts to the financial aid office as soon as possible.
Option #4: Order a Tax Return Transcript AND Wage Transcript by POSTAL MAIL (Takes Several Business Days To Receive)(NOTE: For help with this, please call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 [Monday-Friday])
Print IRS Form 4506-T, mail to the appropriate address listed on the form. Be sure to check "Return Transcript" and "Form W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, or Form 5498 series transcript." These will arrive via postal mail. Once received, return the transcripts to the financial aid office as soon as possible.
Most Common Mistakes on Verification Worksheets:
- Mismatch of information on Household Verification Worksheet vs. FAFSA
- Example: On Household Verification Worksheet, student listed 3 in household BUT on FAFSA--listed 4 in household. Please provide list on the Incomplete Verification Statement form of the people (ages, college info and relationship to you) in your household.
- Students/Parents counting relatives/friends/fiancé/boy/girlfriend in household that they do not provide at least 51% of their support
- Example: The Financial Aid Office can only count grandchildren in household if they were counted as exemptions on your 2012 taxes OR you have legal documentation. Please provide documents.
- Mismatch of information on Income Verification Worksheet vs. FAFSA
- Example: On Income Verification Worksheet, student reported $7200 in child support received BUT on FAFSA--$3000. Please provide statement of which amount is correct.
- Student/Parent providing 1040 (1040A, 1040EZ) instead of using Data Retrieval Tool or providing a copy of their Tax Transcripts and W-2’s
- Example: Student needs to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA or provide a copy of 2012 Tax Transcripts and W-2's OR Parents need to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA or provide a copy of 2012 Tax Transcripts and W-2's
- Proof of Citizenship
- Example: Proof of citizenship needed. (examples: US Passport, Cert of Citizenship, Cert of Naturalization, I-94, VISA, Alien Registration Receipt Card I-151, Resident Alien Card I 551, Permanent Resident Card I-551)
- Legal Guardianship/orphan/foster care/ dependent of Court/Emancipated Minor
- Example: Orphan/ Foster Care/ Dependent-Ward of Court-----at the age of 13 or older; Emancipated Minor/Legal Guardianship----ANY age
- Siblings and/or Parents FAFSA matching
- Example: Parents can count everyone in college attending at least ½ time; Child cannot count parent in college
Tax filers who are not able to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript due to identity theft, will need to complete the following:
- Call a special IRS number (1-800-908-4490).
- Upon verification of identity, the tax filer can request the IRS provide a paper copy of an alternative document unique to identity theft issues (Tax Return Data Base View)
- The Tax Return Data Base View is an official transcript that can be submitted to PSCC to meet verification requirements