African dancers
Flags from different countries
People talking at the Festival of Cultures

Change to F-2 Status


If your original reason for coming to the United States changes, you may be required to change you nonimmigrant status to a different one before you lawfully begin to engage in the activities you want to pursue



A nonimmigrant is eligible to change to an F-2 status in the following circumstances:

  1. My spouse is an F-1 student (the “principal”).
  2. My spouse has changed to F-1 status from another nonimmigrant classification.



Schedule an appointment with an international student advisor. Be sure to bring:

  1. Completed Form I-539 found at
  2. Current I-94 card (given to you on the plane and likely stapled inside your passport)
  3. Current, valid passport
  4. Current, valid visa stamp (inside passport, unless stamped in old passport)
  5. Copy of principal’s I-94 card and I-20 document
  6. Truthful written statement to USCIS explaining why you want to change your status to F-2. You must explain that obtaining F-2 status was not your original intent when you entered the United States.
  7. Check or money order (money order preferred) for $290 addressed to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”