Using the Calendar Tool
The Calendar can be used to display course events, project due dates, and even scheduled content. Access the Calendar tool by clicking on the Calendar link in the upper left navigation bar.
Let’s take a look at the calendar interface:
As you can see in the example above, the Calendar tool is quite flexible.
- Change the current calendar using the drop-down menu under the Current Calendar heading.
- View the schedule for an entire course by clicking on the View Schedule button in the Current Calendar section. Once in schedule view, you can print the entire schedule (course syllabus) or print items between specific dates.
- Use the checkboxes in the Calendars section to show or hide specific calendars from your view.
- Change your view and focus on what matters to you using the View Type buttons at the top of the center column. You can view entries as agenda items, in list format, or in day/week/month format.
- Within a view, use the Group by buttons to choose how you’d like to organize the events.
To add additional calendars, click on the + symbol under the Calendars heading. Then, search for the courses you wish to add, select the course(s), and click the add button.
Once you’ve added a calendar, you can change the color or it to better distinguish between events in different classes. Click on the contextual menu to the right of the calendar you want to edit. Then, choose the Change Calendar Color option.
To remove a calendar from your list, simply click on the contextual menu to the right of the calendar you want to delete, then choose the Remove Calendar option.
Add an event
- Navigate to the class to which you want to add the calendar item
- Click on the Calendar link in the top left navigation bar
- Click on the Create Event button in your calendar view
- Enter a title for the event and add a description
- Select the time of the event. For all day events, make sure to select the All day option.
- If you want, create event recurrences by clicking the Add Recurrence button or set visibility restrictions by clicking the Add Restriction button.
- Click Save.
In addition to events, you can add existing course content to the calendar using the Add Content button in the calendar view.
- Click on the Add Content button
- To add an entire module to the calendar, select the radio button to the left of the module name. To add specific topics, click on the Module name, then select the radio buttons to the left of the topic name
- Click Add
- If you don’t want to keep the name of the existing Module or Topic, click on the Use custom name checkbox and type an alternate title in the textfield provided.
- Select the time of the event in the When section. For all day events, make sure to select the All day option.
- Click Create.
The Calendar tool also offers iCal subscriptions. This allows you to subscribe view D2L’s calendar events in Outlook, iCal, Google Calendar, and others.
- Click on the Settings link in the top right corner of the calendar view.
- Check the option to Enable Calendar Feeds
- Click Save
- Click on the contextual menu for a calendar, then choose the Subscribe option.
- You will now be presented with a dialog box containing the private feed for your calendar. Just copy and paste that feed URL to your favorite calendar application.
* Please note: Items added to the D2L calendar will be added to your desktop calendar application, but new items added to your calendar app will not be sent back to D2L. *
If you create your course schedule in an eternal calendar tool, you can also import that iCal feed into D2L. The specifics will vary based on the calendar tool you’re using, but the basic steps are as follows:
- Export an iCal feed from your external calendar application
- Access the course in D2L to which you’d like to import the events
- Access the Calendar tool
- Access the contextual menu for the calendar and choose the Import Events option.
- Choose the file you exported from your external calendar tool
- Click the Import button