Using Conditional Release
- Conditions and Associations
- Accessing the Release Conditions Tool
- Creating New Conditions
- Grade Value on a Grade Item and Score on a Quiz
- Completed Quiz Attempt and Completed Survey Attempt
- Adding an Existing Release Condition
- Deleting Associations and Conditions
- Best Practices for Setting Release Conditions (opens new page)
- Example Conditional Release Scenarios (opens new page)
- Copying Release Conditions (opens new page)
By setting release conditions, you can direct students to complete certain requirements before they can view specified tools and content.
For example, you can require that students view the content in Topic A before they can see Topic B material. Or, you can make a discussion forum visible only to students in particular groups, or to students who have achieved certain grades on defined course items.
Release conditions can be applied to the following tools:
- Content Topics and Modules
- Discussion Forums and Topics
- Dropbox Folders
- Chat Rooms
- Grade Items
- News Items
- Custom Widgets
Release conditions can be based on:
- Checklist completion
- Group or section enrollment
- Organizational unit enrollment
- Visiting a content topic
- Visiting all content modules in a course
- Posting to discussion topics and forums
- Dropbox submissions
- Receipt of Dropbox feedback
- Grade value on a grade item (minimum)
- Score on a Quiz (minimum, maximum)
- Completion of quiz attempts
- Completion of survey attempts
PLEASE NOTE: In order for Conditional Release to work properly, you must disable all POP-UP blockers.
You can disable your popup blocker through IE by going to the Tools Bar in Internet Explorer, Highlight the Pop-up Blocker option and then select Turn-Off Popup Blocker.
You must also disable the popup blocker in any Toolbars (Google, Yahoo,etc.) you are running by selecting the picture that says "X Blocked" in the toolbar. This will temporarily disable popup blocking in Google.
For Yahoo toolbar users, you must disable popups by selecting the popup box, and disabling the popup blocker.
Failure to disable popup blockers will result in Conditional Release NOT working properly.
Conditions and Associations are the two key terms used in association with the Conditional Release tool.
A condition is the requirement that you create. For example, Student must attempt Quiz 1.
You must then associate a condition with an item in your course. For example, if you want to require that a student must attempt Quiz 1 before they can see Quiz 2, you would create the condition Student must attempt Quiz 1 and associate it with Quiz 2.
- You must create your content and course items (quizzes, surveys, discussion forums, etc.) before you can create release conditions and associations for them.
- It is strongly recommended that you complete all of your conditional release settings before a course is made available to students.
- It is not possible to “reset” release conditions. Once a student has satisfied a release condition, you cannot erase this information and force them to go back and satisfy the condition again.
A release condition has been set that requires students to view Topic 1 before they can see Topic 2. Several students view Topic 1 and proceed to Topic 2. Afterwards, the instructor makes changes to Topic 1, and wants to require students to go back and read Topic 1 again before they can access Topic 2. It is not possible for the instructor to reset the release condition so that all students have to read Topic 1 again before proceeding to Topic 2. Instead, the instructor could add an additional release condition to Topic 2. Students would then have to satisfy the new release condition before proceeding to Topic 2.
Release Conditions are set from within various tools. For example, when you create or edit a survey or quiz, you will be able to edit the release conditions associated with that tool. (See above for the full list of tools that release conditions can be applied to.)
To create a new release condition from a tool:
- Click the Create and Attach button. The Create New Release Condition popup displays.
- Select the Condition Type from the drop-down list. Your options are displayed in the following table:
Checklist Completion Participants must complete the selected checklist before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
Checklist Item Completion Participants must complete the selected checklist item before they cans see the tools associated with the condition
Group Membership Participants must belong to the selected group in order to see the tools associated with the condition.
OrgUnit Enrollment Participants must belong to the selected organizational unit in order to see the tools associated with the condition.
Section Enrollment Participants must belong to the selected section within your course in order to see the tools associated with the condition.
Role in current orgUnit Participants must be enrolled in your course as a certain role (i.e. instructor, student, auditor, etc.) in order to see the tools associated with the condition.
Content Topic Visited Participants must visit the selected Content topic before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
All Content Modules Completed Participants must visit all of the topics within the course before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
Note: This condition requires that users visit all modules within your course. You cannot specify only a single module. If you wish to create a condition that would make a tool available only after a user has completed a specific Content module, create a condition using the Content topic visited option and require that they visit the last topic within the applicable content module.
Discussion Messages Authored in Topic/Forum Participants must post a certain number of messages in a specific discussion topic or forum before they can see the tools associated with the condition. See below for a further description of this option.
Submission to Dropbox Participants must make a submission to the selected Dropbox folder before they see the tools associated with the condition.
Receive Feedback on Dropbox folder Participants must have received feedback for the selected Dropbox folder before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
Grade value on a grade item Participants must achieve a specified grade on the selected grade item before they can see the tools associated with the condition. You can specify a minimum, maximum, or a range of grades that users must achieve. See more description.
Score on a Quiz Participants must achieve a certain score on the selected quiz before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
Completed Quiz Attempt Participants must have completed a specified number of quiz attempts for the selected quiz before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
Completed Survey Attempt Participants must have completed a specified number of survey submissions for the selected survey before they can see the tools associated with the condition.
Another drop-down list displays, containing a list of available tools of the type you chose in the Condition Type drop-down list (e.g. if you chose Group Membership in the Condition Type drop-down list, a list of groups will display).
- Choose the applicable tool from the new drop-down list.
- Depending on the Condition Type you selected, additional options may display in the Create New Release Condition page. Refer to the sections below for details on the additional fields.
- Click Save.
Notes: If you assign more than one release condition to a tool, students must satisfy all of the assigned conditions before they can view that tool. You cannot make duplicate conditions.
If you chose the Discussion messages authored… option from the Condition Type drop-down list, then you are presented with the following options:
- Specify how many messages participants must post in the discussion topic/forum that you selected in the Discussion field.
- Select an option from the Type drop-down list:
- New Messages Only The system will only count messages that a participant posts as a new discussion thread. It will not count messages that participants post as replies to other students' posts.
- Messages and Replies The system will count all messages that a participant posts, including messages posted as replies to other students' posts.
Note: If you choose a forum in the Discussion drop-down list, the system counts messages that students post in any of the topics within that forum. If you choose a topic from the Discussion drop-down list, the system only counts messages within that specific discussion topic.
The additional fields for the Grade Value on a Grade Item and Score on a Quiz Condition Types are the same. If you chose one of these options from the Condition Type dropdown list, then you are presented with the following options:
- Select an option from the Criteria drop-down list, as described in the following table:
Participants must achieve a grade that is less than or equal to the percentage specified in the Grade field.
Participants must achieve a grade that is less than the percentage specified in the Grade field.
Participants must achieve a grade that is greater than or equal to the percentage specified in the Grade field.
Participants must achieve a grade that is greater than the percentage specified in the Grade field.
Participants must achieve a grade that is equal to the percentage specified in the Grad e field.
Participants must achieve a grade between the percentages you specify in the Grade fields. A second Grade field will appear when you select this option. You then specify the lowest and highest grade percentages in the two grade fields, respectively.
- Type the applicable percentage value in the Grade field.
Note: The D2L system considers a grade value or grade item score condition met if a student's grade satisfies the condition at any point in the course. For example, suppose an instructor sets a condition that Topic B is only accessible to students that have achieved 80% or greater on Quiz 1. Student A receives 85% on Quiz 1 and can view Topic B. Later, the instructor realizes that Student A's quiz was graded incorrectly, and changes Student A's grade to 75%. Student A will still be able to view Topic B , because they had previously met the release condition.
The additional fields for the Completed Quiz Attempt and Completed Survey Attempt Condition Types are the same. If you chose one of these options from the Condition Type drop-down list, then you are presented with the following options:
- Choose the number of times a participant must attempt the quiz or survey from the Number of Attempts drop-down list.
Note The options available in the Number of Attempts drop-down list depend on the maximum number of attempts you specified for the quiz or survey. For example, if students can only attempt a quiz or survey once, you will only be able to choose “1” from the drop-down list. If students can attempt a quiz or survey up to 5 times, 1 through 5 will appear as options in the drop-down list.
To add an existing release condition to a tool:
- Click the Add Existing button.
The Create Add Condition popup displays.
- Select the condition(s) you want to add.
- Click Add Selected.
To delete conditions associated with a tool:
- In the tool's Additional Conditions section, click the icon beside Remove All Conditions ( ).
- Click the trash can icon beside the individual conditions you want to remove.
- Confirm your decision.
The associations you selected are deleted and the page will update.
Note: A condition will be deleted if it is not associated with any tools. However, if a condition is associated with several tools and you delete only one of its associations, the condition will still remain associated with the other tools.