March 16, 2005
Distance Learning Classrooms, all campuses
I. Call to Order Kathy Byrd
II. Approval of Minutes Kathy Byrd
III. Officer Reports
· President Kathy Byrd
· From Learning Council
Committee on the College Catalogue: Parts of the catalogue will now be solely on-line. The printed catalogue will become a guide for new students. The on-line version will be a reference for all students.
Honor roll for Part-time students has been endorsed by Learning Council and is now in the logistics phase of development.
From other groups in
· Senate Bill 148, sponsored by Sen. Fowler, calls for a moratorium on the development of online courses at TBR institutions.
§ Per the Faculty Council motion above, President Byrd wrote the House and Senate Education Committee chairs expressing the faculty’s concern about the proposed bills.
• Byrd reported that TBR representatives are having meetings with legislators regarding other bills which would affect higher education. She reported that President Edwards is also meeting with local legislators for the same purpose.
IV. Committee Reports
· Steering Committee Kathy Byrd
MOTION: That the Evaluation Committee of Faculty Council send the email regarding the use of student perceptions in faculty evaluations. MOTION PASSED
Presentation of the Faculty Senate Constitution: President Byrd will send the proposed Senate constitution to the faculty via email on 17 March. The 20 April Faculty Council meeting will be largely devoted to debating and voting on the constitution.
· Adjunct Faculty Jonathan Morrell no report
· Promotion-Tenure Don Thomas/Janice Rowland no report
· Student Scholarships Jonathan Lamb/Tony Crossland
o The 2005 Faculty Council book sale netted $5,500.00 for student scholarships.
· Rules Don Thomas no report
· Nominating Committee Jonathan Fowler no report
· Evaluation Wanda Scarbro no report
· Faculty Forums Paul Baxter/Elaine Oswald no report
· Summer Issues Don Thomas no report
· RODP/Online Courses Paul Ramp no report
V. Unfinished Business none
VI. New Business
•Dave Vinson reported on a pending TBR motion which would provide incentive bonuses to college presidents. Bonuses would be paid out of current college funds and would be awarded based on improvements in retention, graduation rates, cost containment, fund-raising, and Despite opposition from most TBR college presidents, the policy will likely be adopted by the TBR at their upcoming meeting.
VII. Announcements none
IX. Adjournment 3.45 pm