Distance Learning Classrooms, all campuses
I. Called to Order by Ely Driver.
II. Minutes of the
III. Officer Reports
Dave Vinson TBR Representative No Report
Kathy Byrd President
· FC Scholarship Recipients: Three scholarships were awarded this year. Recipients were Anna Bukovska, Michelle Grothaus, and Wesley Forbes.
· Learning Council:
o Learning Council approved the Promotion-Tenure Policy as amended and it will be sent forward for approval.
o Self-evaluation for 2004: In January the old format will be used for this year. The new one will be used for 2005.
o Department heads have already announced that electronic grade reporting will be used. K. Byrd has already used it and found it to be an easy process.
o Learning Council discussed reducing the size of the print-format catalog. Some of the information currently available in both the print-format and online versions will be dropped from the print-format version. Send any recommendations for information to remove from the print-format catalog or any comments to K. Byrd.
o In January selected faculty will be asked to attend a presentation by an outside speaker on classroom management techniques.
o Dr. Bruns also discussed a recent Sloan Consortium Report on online education. It indicated that enrollments in online classes continue to grow and that the rate of growth is expected to continue to increase.
· Meeting with Dr. Edwards:
Dr. Edwards indicated that
possible projects (pending budget considerations) include renovations to the
IV. Committee Reports
· Steering Kathy Byrd
The idea of a faculty senate will be explored. A committee to be chaired by Anne Kinggard is investigating the possibilities. Other members of the committee are Dave Vinson, Kathy Byrd, Sharon Burlingame, Ashley Boone, and Don Thomas. Send ideas or input to the listserv or contact a committee member.
· Adjunct Faculty Jonathan Morrell
The new adjunct representative to Steering, Clay Gilbert, was not present. He will be introduced at a future meeting.
· Promotion/Tenure Don Thomas/Janice Rowland
Portfolios are due January 31 and candidates have been notified.
· Student Scholarships Jonathan Lamb/Tony Crossland
$108.00 has already been collected from a book seller. Assignments have been made and efforts are on schedule.
· Rules Don Thomas
· Evaluation Wanda Scarbro
The committee is working on wording for an e-mail announcement to be sent after the first of the year.
· Faculty Forums Elaine Oswald/Paul Baxter
· Summer Issues Don Thomas
Information is being collected and will be sent out in January.
· RODP/Online Courses Paul Ramp
V. Unfinished Business: None
VI. New Business: None
· There was a request to return to the discussion of the exploration of a faculty senate in order to clarify the role of the newly established committee, as the question of a faculty senate had been referred to the Rules Committee for investigation last spring. It was decided that the study of the issue would remain a responsibility of the Rules Committee with the members of the new committee providing assistance.