Faculty Senate Minutes

March 18, 2009-3:30 PM, Pellissippi Campus

I.          Call to Order

Meeting was called to order by Tom Gaddis.   Senators in attendance:  Wanda Scarbro (President), Mark Fuentes (President Elect), Tom Gaddis (Business Officer & Division St.), Nina McPherson (Secretary & Library Services), Ken Swayne (Communications Officer & EMT), Charles Miller (Parliamentarian & Liberal Arts), Dave Vinson (TBR Representative), Martha Merrill (BCT), Mae Jean King (BCT), David Gilbert (EMT), Lawana Day (English), Sharon Reedy (English), David Key (LA), Anita Maddox (LA), Meg Moss (Math), Linda Streebeck (Math), Daryl Thomas (Math), Brad Rose (NS), Cathy Clay (NS), Yolanda Kirkpatrick (NS), Caroline Best (TS), Ashley Boone (Blount County), Jane Stribling (Magnolia).  Guests:  Marilyn Harper, Bob Stern, Trent Eades, Catherine Williams, Patty Preston.

 

II.        Approval of Minutes – Tom Gaddis

Minutes were approved as written with no changes.

 

IIII.     Officer Reports

            Secretary: Nina McPherson – no report

           

Communications:  Ken Swayne – no report

           

TBR Representative:  Dave Vinson

Dave asked for agenda items for the Faculty Sub-Council meeting in three weeks.  He has already asked that a discussion concerning the role and function of the Sub-Council be on the agenda.

 

            President:  Wanda Scarbro

            Dr. Wise will attend the Faculty Senate meeting in April.

 

The confirmation of attendance process for students has been a problem for students.  There are nine steps in the process.  Faculty need to know more about this process before advising starts on April 6.  Apparently, this process was installed at the last minute before spring semester started, and faculty were not told about it beforehand.  Some students lost their schedules because they did not confirm their attendance adequately and had to re-register. Questions raised were: Why is this process needed?  Is this process needed for financial aid purposes?  Can the process be simplified?  How were students informed of this new process?   Will information about this new process be included in the upcoming faculty advising training?

 

President Scarbro has received several comments about the DSP redesign and its results for Fall 2008 Semester.  Pellissippi’s program is not one of the TBR pilots.  JoAnne Thomasson suggested that TBR may not mandate one single program as long as each college is working toward improvement. Some faculty are very concerned about the lowered success rates and the software presently being used. After much discussion, it was decided to trust our colleagues in the TS Department to continue working on the changes they are presently pursuing and to follow up on the future success rate studies.

 

A new advising initiative, Pathway to Success, is being considered by the college.  This program, based on a software program, is used at Valencia Community College in Orlando, Florida.  Mary Bledsoe, Assistant VP for Student Success, presented the program about the initiative.  Concerns discussed were the lack of evidence of success at Valencia, the cost of the program at this time of budget concerns, and the amount of time this might entail for faculty.  President Scarbro will continue to monitor action on this proposal.

.

                                     

IV.       Committee Reports

Adjunct Faculty:  Jonathan Morrell – No report. 

 

Student Scholarships:  Trish Roller

Sharon Reedy reported that everything is in place for the book sale.  There is a need for    additional workers.

 

            Rules:  Charles Miller – no report

           

            Nominating Committee:  Nina McPherson – No report

 

            Promotion/Tenure:  Mae Jean King

            Departmental meetings have been scheduled and are on-going right now.  Forms have been          distributed to deans.

 

Faculty Emeritus: Mark Fuentes – No report

 

            Faculty Bill of Rights Ad Hoc: Anita Maddox – no report

 

            Budget Ad Hoc Committee:  President Scarbro

            Five faculty members have volunteered to be on this ad hoc committee.  The committee has          met twice and has developed twelve questions that they would like to ask Ron Kesterson.  A            meeting is scheduled for the week of March 20 with Mr. Kesterson.

 

           

VI.       Discussion

            Budget issues – President Scarbro

            In discussions with Dr. Wise, it appears that the budget situation for the next two years is ok,       but the third year will be a problem.  The third year might be a 15% to 20% permanent cut,           which could be a $4 million cut.  The governor has advised state agencies to use the time to       plan for the budget cut.  Tuition increase discussions center on a possible 7% increase.

           

            Moderation of Faculty-Staff listserv

The moderation of the Faculty-Staff listserv will not be reversed. Several other listservs exist in the college, but none of them reach all of the faculty and staff. Senators had several questions about how the moderation was being done, who the moderators were, etc. President Scarbro will follow up with Jerry Bryan to get some additional detail about this issue.         

 

            Tenure process for Transitional Studies Faculty

There is nothing new on this topic.  Additional concerns are the hiring process for someone in TS and who does the evaluation, the dean of which department, etc. President Scarbro will gather additional information about the whole issue.

           

VII.     Unfinished Business

            Election update of new senators

            President Scarbro has not received the names of all of the newly elected Senators.  New   Senators need to attend the Faculty Senate meeting in April.

             

VIII.    New Business

            Professional standards – Anita Maddox

            Anita distributed a resolution dealing with the Professional Standards policy adopted by the        President’s staff recently.  This matter will be discussed at the next Faculty Senate meeting.

           

IX.       Announcements-Next meeting-Wednesday, April 15, 2009, at 3:30 PM at the Blount County Campus, Room 107

 

X.        Adjournment

            Meeting adjourned at 4:12 PM