Faculty Senate

MINUTES

March 23, 2011, 3:30 p.m.                 Blount County Campus                                   BL 261

 

 

I.          Call to Order                                                 Tom Gaddis

            The meeting was called to order by Tom Gaddis.

 

Members in attendance: Mark Fuentes (President), Dave Vinson (TBR Rep), Donn King (Parliamentarian), Rick Barber (BCT), Joe Zitka (BCT), Ken Swayne (EMT), Lawana Day (English), Trent Eades (English), Sydney Gingrow (English), Charles Cardwell (LA), Marilyn Harper (LA), Mike Rose (LA), Bob Stern (Math), Brad Rose (NBS), Kimberly Wilks (Nursing), Jean Jackson (Library Services), Tom Gaddis (Business Officer/Division Street), Jane Stribling (Magnolia Avenue).

           

            Guests in attendance: Anita Crook

 

II.        Approval of Minutes: Tom Gaddis

            The minutes were approved as amended.

 

III.       Officer Reports:

                  Secretary: Jean Jackson – No report.

 

                  Communications: Ken Swayne – No report.

 

                  TBR Representative: Dave Vinson

The next sub council meeting is scheduled for April 15. Agenda items are being accepted. The issue of TBR’s relationship with the union will be addressed. ETSU also has an issue on the agenda regarding the use of the funds for the 1.6% raise for state employees included in the governor’s budget proposal.

 

Dave has been invited to participate in a statewide taskforce on adjunct faculty. He will report on the findings and any proposed policy resulting from the work of the taskforce.

 

                  President: Mark Fuentes

·         Mark is working with Ron Kesterson and Dr. Wise regarding the motion passed at the last meeting recommending that all faculty be eligible for reimbursement for mileage for local travel between teaching sites.

·         Mark talked with Sharon Yarbrough regarding issues raised about student perceptions surveys. There will be further discussions about solutions.

·         On April 7, Mark will be meeting with Melanie Paradise and Paul McKinney to discuss a policy to address repeated withdrawals and failures.

·         The presidential search is going well. All candidates have been given consideration and the pool has been reduced to 11candidates. The next meeting of the Presidential Search Advisory Committee will be on March 30.

·         The SACS Compliance Report has been completed and sent to SACS and the off-site review committee. The on-site committee will be here September 27-29. A print copy of the report is on reserve at the library’s circulation desk and in each site campus ERC. Mark also has a copy of the report that he will lend.

·         Senators whose terms will be ending this year are responsible for holding elections within their departments for new representatives. Both the current senators and the newly elected representatives will attend the next senate meeting on April 20.

·         Strawberry Plains is scheduled to open in the fall. No site dean has been named. Mark has received suggestions for the post and he will forward these names to the proper administrators.

           

Registration and advising for fall semester begins April 4 and there is no code, as yet, for Strawberry Plains. Mark will relay further information as it becomes available.

 

IV.       Committee Reports:

                  Adjunct Faculty: William Gwin/Leigh Moore – No report.

 

                  Student Scholarships: Bob Stern

Bobby Jackson reported via email earlier in the week that the total raised by the book sale this year was $5,557.98. Discussions are on-going about the viability of the book sale as a fund-raiser.  Send any suggestions for alternatives to the sale to President Fuentes.

 

                  Rules: Donn King

The Rules Committee was asked to review the motion to amend the Faculty Senate Constitution from the February meeting, and to refine the language of the amendment. The motion to amend, as approved in February, is as follows:

 

The Constitution shall be amended to state that adjunct faculty are entitled to have up to three seats on the Faculty Senate with not more than one of the representatives being from the same academic department.

 

The Rules Committee came to an agreement on most of the wording for the amendment. The committee also discussed presenting the amendment with a blank (per Robert’s) rather than a specific number of seats, which would allow Senate to fill in the blank after discussion at this meeting. It was the decision of the Rules Committee to present the language of the amendment retaining the number of seats as approved during the last meeting, but to inform Senate that it would still be possible for a motion from the floor to amend the language to insert a blank. Then the number of seats could be further discussed and decided before voting on the amendment to the Constitution. The amendment from Rules Committee is as follows:

 

The Constitution shall be amended by striking the word ‘two’ from the first sentence in Article IV, Section5, Subsection A, and substituting the phrase ‘entitled to three’; and by adding the phrase ‘with no two from the same academic department’ at the end of that same sentence. This amendment shall become effective for the 2011-2012 academic year.

 

Trent Eades moved to create a blank rather than substituting the phrase ‘entitled to three’ in the wording of the amendment. The motion was seconded.

The motion failed by a vote of 9 to 7.

 

After further discussion, the motion to amend the Constitution, as presented by the Rules Committee, was approved.

 

                  Nominating Committee: Jean Jackson – No report.

 

                  Promotion/Tenure: Jane Stribling

The process went fairly smoothly. Jane reported the following comments/questions from P-T representatives:

·         Would it be possible to institute a smaller notebook?

Discussion included that one reason that notebooks are so large is the TBR requirement that documentation be included.

·         Would it be possible to have 2-year terms for promotion-tenure site representatives?

·         Could there be a time limit for submission of absentee ballots?

                  Other issues that came up during discussion:

·         Nursing faculty did not realize that they were required to review the notebooks before they could vote.

·         The current guidelines in the policy for absentee ballots may need review.

 

President Fuentes asked those who had issues to email him. He will discuss possible revision of the policy with Dr. Wise.

 

                  Faculty Development: Ron Bridges

                  President Fuentes reported that

·         The college has registered for a three part on-line seminar on Service Learning.  The first part of the seminar is scheduled for March 22.

·         Other seminars on CD will be ordered. They will be placed in Educational Technology Services for faculty use.

 

                        Faculty Lecture Series: Trent Eades

Ken Swayne presented a great lecture today. Annie Gray will present the last lecture for this year on April 20 at 2 p.m.

 

The scheduling is complete for the lecture series for next year. Trent is starting to schedule for the following year. A slot in the schedule will be reserved for an adjunct faculty member.

 

V.        Discussion:

                        In-Service Activities

There will be a planning meeting for in-service on April 5. Many of the activities will be related to SAC and the QEP. Send other ideas and suggestions to President Fuentes.  It was suggested that a session be included on the changes in Transitional Studies and all the related course changes.

 

                        Spring Break

The lack of synchronicity in scheduling spring breaks among Pellissippi, UT, and local school systems was discussed. President Fuentes will inquire about the possibility of aligning Pellissippi’s spring break with UT’s.

 

V.        Unfinished Business:

                        Amendment to Constitution

                        This issue was taken up during the Rules Committee’s report.

 

VI.       New Business:

 

·         Dave Vinson continues to be disturbed by the scheduling of meetings at times that overlap two class meeting times. This makes it more difficult for faculty members to participate. He is contemplating a motion proposing that timing of such meetings should be coordinated with class times.

·         Lawana Day presented an issue related to the promotion/tenure process. She was asked about the possibility of the notebooks being circulated to the site campuses since scheduling a trip to Pellissippi Campus to review the notebooks can be inconvenient.

 

Points of discussion included:

·         The importance of the process. The two-weeks scheduled for review of the notebooks would seem to allow adequate time for faculty to work this into their schedules.

·         Logistics and security for handling the notebooks.

·         An alternative is to require submission of electronic notebooks. Another alternative is adoption of a totally different process as not all schools use a peer process like ours.

·         An in service session on faculty responsibility was suggested.

·         The size of the notebooks with all the documentation as require by TBR.

                        President Fuentes will relay concerns in his meeting with Dr. Wise.

 

VII.     Announcements

·         The next meeting is schedule for April 20, 2011, 3:30 p.m. at the Pellissippi Campus in the Faculty/Staff Dining Room.

·         The Presidential Search Advisory Committee will meet Wednesday, March 30 in the CPAC.

·         Senators whose terms are ending should invite newly elected representatives to attend the April meeting.

 

VII.     Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.