July 14, 2010, 3:30 PM; Pellissippi Campus; Faculty/Staff Dining Room
I. Call to Order: Tom Gaddis
The meeting was called to order by Tom Gaddis. Members in attendance: Mark Fuentes (President), Ron Bridges (President Elect), Dave Vinson (TBR Rep), Donn King (Parliamentarian), Joe Zitka (BCT), Lawana Day (English), Trent Eades (English), Anita Maddox (LA), Mike Rose (LA), Ann Preston (Math), Bob Stern (Math), Linda Streebeck (Math), Joan Jackson (NBS), Jean Jackson (Library Services), Trish Roller (Transitional Studies), Pam Smith (Transitional Studies), Tom Gaddis (Business Officer/Division Street), Jane Stribling (Magnolia Avenue), William Gwin (Adjunct Faculty)
II. Approval of Minutes: Tom Gaddis
The previous minutes were approved without objection.
III. Officer Reports:
Secretary: Jean Jackson – No Report
Communications: Ken Swayne – No Report
TBR Representative: Dave Vinson
Sub Council will meet next week. The A-100 Guidelines will be on the agenda. Also concerns about the hiring procedure for the new TBR chancellor will be discussed.
Trent Eades made a motion relating to the TBR chancellor’s search. After discussion and amendment, it was approved as follows:
Pellissippi State Faculty Senate recommends that any chancellor of TBR hold academic degrees and appropriate relevant experience in higher education.
President Fuentes will discuss this matter with Dr. Wise. Dave Vinson will present the faculty’s concerns at Sub Council.
President: Mark Fuentes
· Discussed interest in requesting an additional traffic light at the college entrance. This will not be pursued at this time.
· FS Committees:
n Bob Stern will report on the book sale for the Math Department.
n A co-chair is needed for the Promotion/Tenure Committee.
n Anita Maddox stated that the Faculty Bill of Rights Ad Hoc Committee is no longer necessary. The committee was dissolved.
· The A-100 Guidelines are still under discussion.
· From TBR: A $1.5 million budget shortage is expected for the 2010-11 academic year. The new funding formula will be based on outcomes/graduation rates rather than enrollment.
· There is concern that community colleges will lose their ties to local communities in a merged system.
· The SACs consultant will be here next week. During her visit, the QEP will be further refined and organized.
· The first day of in-service will be held at Blount County Campus on August 18. Plans for in-service were discussed.
IV. Committee Reports:
Adjunct Faculty: Jonathan Morrell/William Gwin – No Report
Student Scholarships: Bob Stern – No Report
Rules: Donn King – No Report
Nominating Committee: Jean Jackson – No Report
Promotion/Tenure: No Report – Chair needed
Faculty Development: Ron Bridges
Ron outlined various activities planned for in-service.
Faculty Lecture Series: Trent Eades
The lecture schedule is set for this year. Edward Francisco will present the first in the series on Sept. 21, 12:30-1:45 p.m. in the Goins Building auditorium. Planning has begun for next year’s series.
Faculty Bill of Rights Ad Hoc: Anita Maddox – Dissolved
V. Unfinished Business: There was no unfinished business.
VI. New Business:
· There was a question about plans for designating another parking lot for faculty use.
· The company contracted to provide security guards changed in July. Also, John Ruppe, the day-time security supervisor, is currently on military leave. The day-time position is being covered by Danny Ward, the security officer supervisor hired to cover weekends.
VII. Announcements – Next meeting: September 15, 2010 – 3:30pm – Pellissippi Campus Faculty/Staff Dining Room
VIII. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.