Faculty Senate Minutes

Meeting – September 13, 2006

3:30 p.m.

 

I.                    Meeting was called to order by Jonathan Lamb at 3:30 p.m.  Senators in attendance:  Ashley Boone, Rick Bower, Carol Brenner, Bill Brewer, Lawana Day, Judy Fethe, Mark Fuentes, Ramzi Ghezawi, David Gilbert, Sydney Gingrow, Katherine Harper, Maggie Jenkins, Anne Kinggard, Jonathan Lamb, Mary Monroe-Ellis, Garry Pennycuff, Paul Ramp, Bob Stern, Anne Swartzlander, Donnie Thomas, Dave Vinson, Pat Zingg.

II.                 Minutes were approved.

III.               New officers for the 2006-2007 academic year:

Business Officer – Bob Stern

Secretary – Ashley Boone

Communications Officer – Rick Bower

Parliamentarian:  Paul Ramp

IV.              Officer Reports:

a.       Secretary:  none

b.      Communications Officer:  none

c.       TBR Representative: 

- Software licensing update:  It was reported that there is a TBR contract of adhesion to cover faculty who download software.  The faculty member should make note of why the software was opened, demonstrating that when it was opened it was believed that it was the only software that would do what was needed.

-  Statewide faculty forum:  Vice Chancellor Shore has requested that Dave Vinson and Kathy Byrd help plan a statewide faculty forum.  The forum will include both faculty and administration from TBR institutions. 

-  The next sub council meeting will be October 20.

d.      President: 

-  There was a record breaking head count for Fall 2006.

-  September 18 will be the very last day for students to pay.  All faculty is asked to check their class list and make sure that no students are still attending who have been expunged.

-  TBR will vote at the September meeting on the extra bonus and raise.

V.                 Committee Reports:

a.       Adjunct Faculty:  none

b.      Student Scholarships:  Books and boxes are currently being collected.  It was reported that donating books is tax deductible and a form letter should be available.  Mark Fuentes will find out if the form on the website, through the foundation, is the one that should be used for the book sale.

c.       Rules:  none

d.      Evaluation:  none

e.       Nominating Committee:  none

f.        Promotion/Tenure:  There are 16 individuals up for promotion and no one up for tenure.  The calendar will be set up soon.  Those applying for promotion are encouraged to follow the revised promotion policies.

g.       Calendar Committee:  TBR met in June.  The spring semester will have the same start and stop times.  To make up for the 2 days we lose in the spring, we can begin our semester on the Thursday or Friday before MLK day.

VI.              Unfinished Business:

a.       Policies and Procedures Revisions:  Until now, there has been no one who has been awarded Faculty Emeritus status.  Since this has now changed, questions have been brought up.  Garry and Pat will check into what TBR institutions have Faculty Emeritus.  The following motion was made, seconded and passed.  This discussion will be brought back up at the

October meeting.

Motion:  Table the vote concerning faculty emeritus.  Take the issue back to the departments and bring feedback back to the next faculty senate meeting. 

b.      Faculty Policy Revisions:

It was moved and seconded that we accept the revisions to the faculty policy. 

The motion was passed.

c.       Tenure Policy Revisions:

It was moved and seconded that we accept the revisions to the tenure policy. 

The motion was passed.

d.      Faculty Promotion and Faculty Self Evaluation Revisions:

It was moved and seconded that we accept the revisions to both the faculty promotion and self-evaluation policies.  The motion was passed.

e.       Saturday Orientations:

It was reported that the learning council is starting to plan for Saturday orientations again in the spring.  Departments reported on the attendance in fall web orientations.  Discussion on the orientations included:  putting orientation dates and times on the student’s schedule, the day that orientation should be held or if the specific course orientations should be held.  Donnie Thomas made the following motion.  It was seconded and passed.

Motion:  Faculty Senate strongly recommends that this policy on mandatory orientations be stopped immediately.

f.        Summer office pay for adjuncts:

Departments reported on the number of adjuncts and the number of courses the adjuncts taught in Summer 2006.  Mary Monroe-Ellis will talk with Jonathan Morrell about putting something together to ask for summer office pay for adjuncts.

VII.            New Business

a.       Revision of Committee Structure and Membership Policy:  All references to faculty council will be changed to faculty senate.

b.      TIAA-CREF vs. TCRS:  With TIAA-CREF, you do not get paid for sick leave when you retire.  However, if you pass away before you retire, your beneficiary will receive money for the accrued sick leave.

c.       Furniture in the McWherter faculty Lounge:  It was requested that faculty senate discuss the need to have the furniture in the McWherter faculty lounge replaced.  It was reported that the furniture in the lounge was donated, not purchased by Pellissippi State.

d.      Email Search List:  When a search is done in Outlook, there are some names, office locations, and phone numbers that are incorrect. 

VIII.         Adjournment at 4:40 p.m.