Faculty Senate Minutes

Meeting October 11, 2006

3:30 p.m.


I.                    Meeting was called to order by Bob Stern at 3:30 p.m. Senators in attendance: Ashley Boone, Carol Brenner, Arlene Cleveland, Lawana Day, Judy Fethe, Mark Fuentes, Sydney Gingrow, Katherine Harper, Anne Kinggard, Jonathan Lamb, Mary Monroe-Ellis, Rebecca Napier, Rick Patton, Garry Pennycuff, Wanda Scarbro, Bob Stern, Anne Swartzlander, Donnie Thomas, Dave Vinson.

II.                 Minutes were approved.

III.               Officer Reports:

a.       Secretary: none

b.      Communications Officer: none

c.       TBR Representative:

- Surveyed sub council members about adjunct office hours and pay.

- Sub council meeting on Thursday, October 19.

- E-learning Strategic Planning: Statewide faculty forums to look at ways to get

bridge communication between faculty and administration.

d.      President:

- Expunge policy: We will be going back to the old expunge policy in spring.

- Fundraising Campaign: Million dollar donation to the Art and Media

Technologies building. Faculty participation was at 43%. Please give, any

amount is good!

- Learning Council: WWW orientations for Spring 2007 will not be the same as

Fall 2006, but will change for Fall 2007. Orientations are not meant to be

mandatory for students. Starting in Spring 2007, caps will be taken off of web


IV.              Committee Reports:

a.       Adjunct Faculty: none

b.      Student Scholarships: We are woefully low on books, please ask for donations. Subcommittees have been formed. Volunteers will be requested in the spring semester. We have already raised $350. If an issue comes up with someone needing a tax form, then send them to Mark Fuentes.

c.       Rules: none

d.      Evaluation: This was an Ad Hoc committee. The job is done, so this committee is no longer needed.

e.       Nominating Committee: none

f.        Promotion/Tenure: The calendar is about the same as last year. The representatives from each department are set. New guidelines were sent out to all department reps and will be sent out to all candidates. Voting will take place the week after spring break.

g.       Calendar Committee: There is nothing new. In spring we will discuss whether or not this committee needs to continue.

V.                 Unfinished Business:

a.       Faculty Emeritus: Dave will bring up at sub council. Department representatives gave feedback. Most departments would like to keep the faculty emeritus status. If it is kept, then we need a committee to form the guidelines on what needs to be done in order to receive faculty emeritus status. A volunteer is needed to chair this committee. There was no volunteer at this time.

VI.              New Business

a.       A faculty member requested that adjunct office hour pay be increased from $10 per hour to $20 per hour. This will be put on hold until the November faculty senate meeting.

b.      Thank you letters were received from the scholarship winners. The faculty senate scholarship winners were Whitney Knight, Scott Searle, and Bryde Steward.

c.       There was discussion on how early faculty report before classes begin.

d.      Three programs are being compressed into one program that can be completed in 18 months. Management, hospitality and marketing are the 3 programs that will be combined with courses being taught in 5 weeks per course. Rationale is to develop a night program that students can get through quickly. Since we are on a 14 week calendar instead of 15 week calendar, will classes start earlier, end later?

e.       Dual Credit: Mary will discuss concerns over dual credit courses with Dr. Bruns. Students will be getting college credit from Pellissippi State for these courses. There are concerns and questions on how we can be sure that all dual credit courses are at the same level and follow the same curriculum as the equivalent courses at Pellissippi State.

f.        The policy revisions voted on at the September faculty senate meeting were approved by learning council.

g.       Members of the faculty are encouraged to work through the faculty senate when and if problems arise.

VII.            Adjournment at 4:30 p.m.