You can test out of PSTCC courses.
Students may attempt to test out of any college-level course listed in the catalog if they feel they already have the competencies mastered through prior learning, training, or experience. Any student who demonstrates satisfactory knowledge of course requirements may receive credit for the course. Applicants desiring to obtain credit by successfully completing department examinations must apply to the appropriate department and provide certification of eligibility.
The following qualifications must be met in order to sit for a credit by examination:
In addition to these general qualifications, a person seeking credit by examination for any OST course must follow the procedures listed below:
- A student with a minimum grade-point average of 2.5 may apply for credit by examination for any college-level course at Pellissippi State on the basis of experience or training.
- The student's application for credit by examination must be approved by the department head and the vice president of Academic Affairs.
- Credit by examination will be given on a pass/no pass basis only and will not be computed in the student's grade-point average.
- A student may not attempt an examination for a course more than once.
- A student must register for credit by examination by completing the required form and paying fees accordingly for the course.
- A student may apply for credit by examination for no more than two courses per semester at any given time.
- Credit by examination is counted as part of a student's course load. The load of courses taken and courses in which that student is seeking credit by examination may not exceed the maximum allowed at any one time.
- Due to the large number of students desiring credit by examinations in OST, the exams are given on only one day during Fall and Spring semesters--the third Saturday. If a student fails to get the paperwork done and does not take the test on this Saturday, he or she will have to wait until the following semester to take the exam. Exams are not given during Summer semester.
- A departmental credit by examination form must be picked up at the first class meeting, completed, and returned one week prior to the date of the exams. The form must be filled out completely, signed by the appropriate offices, and returned one week before the exams to the proper lead instructor in order for the test to be administered.
- Bring a picture ID to the exam.
- The exams are given in McWherter 145 on the main campus between 9 a.m. and noon on the third Saturday of Fall and Spring semesters.
- The student will receive the Pass/No Pass status on the exam after one week. This information will be given to the instructor of the course for which he or she is enrolled.
- If a student passes the exam, he will receive a grade of P for the course. The score will not affect his grade-point average.
- If a student does not pass the exam, he will receive a grade of NP for the course and will receive no credit. The OST program recommends that the student continue attending class and earn a grade to replace the NP earned on the credit by exam.
- A student may not withdraw from the course if he takes the credit by exam and does not pass it; the grade of W is not an option.
All contents copyright (C) 1996, Gay D. Bryant. All rights reserved.
- Office Systems Technology
- Pellissippi State Technical Community College
- P. O. Box 22990Knoxville, TN 37933-0990
- Phone 865-694-6400
Email comments to: email@example.com