PSCC competed, during February and March 2014, in RecycleMania, a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. Over an 8-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week and are in turn ranked in various categories based on who recycles the most on a per capita basis, as well as which schools have the best recycling rate as a percentage of total waste and which schools generate the least amount of combined trash and recycling. With each week’s updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce and recycle more.
Only six Tennessee institutions participated out of the 461 colleges and universities competing this year. The other TN participating schools were East TN State University, UT-Chattanooga, UT-Knoxville, UT-Martin, and Walters State Community College. PSCC and WSCC were the only TN community colleges that participated. (PSCC did not compete in any competitions involving food service waste.)
National recognition is provided to the winning school in each category on the RecycleMania website and in a national press release. Winning schools receive an award made out of recyclable materials, and win the right to host that category’s special traveling trophy for the coming year.
Overall Goals for RecycleMania
- Motivate students and staff to increase recycling efforts and reduce waste generation.
- Generate attention and support for campus recycling programs.
- Encourage colleges to measure and benchmark recycling activity in their effort to improve their programs over time.
- Have a fair and friendly competition.
PSCC 2014 RecycleMania Results Are In!
- In the Gorilla Division, which calculates waste reduction by total pounds collected of recyclables and trash, PSCC came in 214th out of 336 colleges/universities, with 59,174 lbs. total collected paper, cardboard, cans, and bottles.
- In the paper category, PSCC came in 88th out of 148 colleges/universities, with 2.704 lbs. of paper collected per PSCC community member (includes students, faculty, staff).
- In the cardboard category, PSCC came in 74st of 149 colleges/universities, with 3.418 lbs. of cardboard collected per PSCC community member (includes students, faculty, staff).
- In the plastic and aluminum category, PSCC came in 72nd out of 140 colleges/universities, with 1.028 lbs. of bottles and cans per PSCC community member (includes students, faculty, staff).
We look forward to being even more competitive in 2015! Check back regularly for our progress!