Natural and Behavioral Science
female student listening to classroom lecture
African American male sitting at desk working and writing

Teacher Education Program

Students who are interested in a teaching career have the opportunity to fulfill this goal at Pellissippi State. The first decision to be made by students considering a career in education is the age group which they would like to teach!  (See options below.) Once this decision is made, a major can be declared and each student can be advised by someone who is specifically trained to help teacher education majors make the best possible decisions regarding their career goals.


Option 1:  Elementary Education (Grades K-6)

Students who wish to teach in grades K-6 should complete the two-year A.S.T. (Associates of Science in Teaching) degree at Pellissippi State.

A.S.T. graduates then have the option of completing their Bachelor of Science degree and teacher licensure on the Pellissippi State campus  through a partnership with Tennessee Tech University called the 2 + 2 program.     


A.S.T. graduates can transfer to a teacher education program at another four-year college or university to complete their teacher education degree/licensure program. 


Note: The course curriculum for the A.S.T. degree is very specific and is accepted by all TBR (Tn. Board of Regents) Schools, as well as Carson Newman University, and Tusculum College.  It is however, not accepted at The University of Tennessee.  Students wishing to attend the University of Tennessee should meet with an advisor to choose a Tennessee Transfer Pathway that is acceptable at UT.


Option 2Secondary Education (Middle School or High School)

Students who wish to teach in a middle or high school setting should complete an  A.S. degree or an A.A. degree. Each student will major in the subject area which he/she wishes to teach and minor in education.


Option 3Special Education, Music Education, Theatre, ESL, etc.

Students who wish to teach in s specific area such as those listed above should complete an A.S. degree or an A.A. degree.  Each student will major in the special area which he/she wishes to teach and minor in education. 


Option 4Early Childhood Education (Birth - Pre-K)

Students who wish to work with very young children in a pre-school program, Head Start or other childcare settings should pursue a C.D.A. (Child Development Credential) or an A.A.S. (Associate of Applied Science in Early Childhood).  View more information on our Early Childhood Education Program at the ECED (Early Childhood Education) website.

Note: The course requirements for the C.D.A and the A.A.S. will NOT prepare a student to transfer into a teacher education licensure program which is required for teachers in grades K-12. However, students who wish to pursue a four-year degree in Child Development or another related degree should follow the course curriculum that will prepare them for the transfer to a particular college or university.