Learning Support Reading
The READ 0800 and 0810 courses are designed to assist students in the development of basic strategies and effective techniques for reading comprehension at the college-level. The courses emphasize (a) vocabulary development activities, (b) cognitive and metacognitive strategies for comprehension, (c) reasoning and analysis for critical comprehension, (d) effective reading/study strategies for retention and recall, and (e) flexible reading rate.
The shell course (0800/0810) emphasizes the five stated goals above and is further divided into five separate courses for a more focused study. The five courses are:
- READ 0801: Cognitive Reading Strategies for Short Fiction & Narrative Non-Fiction (READ 0800 only)
- READ 0802: Cognitive Reading Strategies for Novels
- READ 0803: Literary Analysis of Novels, Biographies, and Autobiographies
- READ 0804: Reading Strategies for Essays/Plays/Poetry
- READ 0805: Textbook Reading Strategies and Vocabulary Development
Entry Level Standards
Scores earned on the placement test and verified by scores earned on a secondary diagnostic test will be used to determine placement in the class for new students. Returning students start with the first of their remaining uncompleted courses (0801-0805) from the previous semester.
Students are required to have the following texts:
- Mercury Reader: A Custom Publication. New York: Pearson, 2009.
- PLATO Student Guide
- Common novel and independent novel. See instructor for selection.
In addition the required texts for the courses, students are also required to have:
- Jump drive for saving computer work
- Earphones for computer