Home » News » Graham named new Blount County Campus Dean

Graham named new Blount County Campus Dean

Anna B. Graham headshot
Anna B. Graham been named the new dean of Pellissippi State’s Blount County Campus.

Longtime Maryville resident Anna B. Graham has been named the new dean of Pellissippi State Community College’s Blount County Campus. 

Graham, who has lived in Maryville for 30 years this fall and is married to an 8th generation Blount Countian, has been serving as the interim dean since fall 2023. She joined Pellissippi State in 2022 as director of Annual Giving and Scholarships following 14 years as a high school counselor. 

The college undertook a national search to find the right person to lead the Blount County Campus. Graham quickly emerged as an excellent candidate for the position. 

“As vice president of Student Affairs, I’m excited to welcome Anna Graham as the new dean of our Blount County Campus,” said Vice President Rushton Johnson. “Anna brings a wealth of experience in secondary and post-secondary education, deep-rooted connections within our community and a passionate commitment to student success, positioning her as an exemplary leader for the Blount County Campus. I am confident that under Anna’s guidance, our students are set to achieve unparalleled success and growth.” 

Graham said it was her “very student-centered” background that led her to pursue the opportunity to lead the Blount County Campus. Before her career as a school counselor, Graham worked in fundraising roles with Sewanee: The University of the South and Maryville College. She also spent three years as vice president for philanthropy and public relations for Asbury Inc. in Maryville. 

“Everything in my life – my experiences, my personality – has led me here,” she said. “Everywhere I go, I meet people who tell me that their child went here, they’ve taken a lifelong learning class here, they vote out here. I want everyone to know someone who had a good experience at Pellissippi State, whose life was transformed here and you want to know more about it.” 

Graham said she loves “shining a light on all the incredible opportunities” students have at Pellissippi State – from dual enrollment classes for high school students to career development workshops for those closer to college graduation and everything in between. With services like free tutoring, a food pantry and more, Pellissippi State supports its students academically and holistically. 

“It’s not just about going to class and learning – it’s not what I call ‘grab and go,’” she said. “A community college is about building community. I want to be seen as a resource so that people can pick up the phone and call me with a problem, and I’ll say, ‘Let’s figure it out.’” 

One of the things Graham already has done is make the dean more visible – not only in the Blount County community, but also on the Blount County Campus. 

“I’ve been in the classrooms, getting to know students, asking them, ‘How can I help?’” she said. “We’ve gotten new clubs started, and we’ve seen our students gathering outside the classroom – building friendships, making connections, accessing services and utilizing resources.” 

Graham said being a parent of a recent college graduate and a college freshman also gives her insight into what it’s like to raise young people in a world where it’s hard for them to be financially independent. 

“I recently hosted a parent education workshop on how they can maximize the state’s dual enrollment grant for their children,” she said. “Dual enrollment and Tennessee Promise make Pellissippi State a great local affordable option that can take your student anywhere in the world. I see this as an opportunity to help families build generational wealth.” 

Graham added she wants to continue building the college’s partnerships with local businesses and industry as well. 

“Not only do we have great training opportunities here at our Ruth and Steve West Workforce Development Center, but having strong post-secondary options like TCAT, Pellissippi State and Maryville College attracts businesses, and those businesses in turn support our community,” Graham said. “When people see me, I want them to say, ‘Hey! Tell me more about Pellissippi!’” 

Pellissippi State’s Blount County Campus is located at 2731 W. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Friendsville. You can reach Graham at abgraham1@pstcc.edu or 865.981.5302. 

###