The Pellissippi Pantry
Since opening in the Summer of 2016, the Pellissippi Pantry has provided a 3-5 day supply of emergency food, including fresh produce from our Hardin Valley Campus Garden, to participants and their household members on all four campuses.
This Fall, participants who choose to utilize the pantry on the Hardin Valley will have the opportunity to participate in our “Walk-In” pantry concept.
The “Walk-In” pantry concept will allow participants to shop for their items, rather than have their food pre-packed. Participants will be assigned points, based on their household size, and will utilize those points throughout the month. (Points will not accumulate or carry over and each item will have a set amount).
Participants on our Magnolia and Strawberry Plains campuses will be able to order their items by utilizing this new point system and their orders will be delivered to their chosen site campus every other week.
What’s the Process?
- Participants are asked to complete an application annually.
- Participants who choose to shop at the Hardin Valley or Blount County locations, can stop by during open hours and select their items.
- Participants who are picking up at Division, Magnolia or Strawberry Plains location, must submit their orders by 12:00 p.m. the Monday before distribution to ensure time to pack their order.
- Once the online order form has been submitted, the order will be packed, and distributed to site campuses and ready for pick up after 1 p.m., on the first and third Wednesday of each month. (excluding January & August).
- The pantry will be stocked with a variety of food items from each food group, in order to encourage healthy eating habits. When available hygiene products and household items will be distributed. The pantry will also have “surprise me” items from our food groups; based on the donations we receive.
How can I support the Pantry?
- Volunteer- The Pellissippi Pantry relies on volunteers! Weekly volunteer opportunities will be sent out via the Student List Serve. First time volunteers must attend training prior to volunteering. Trainings will be available weekly for your convenience. Non-Pellissippi volunteers must complete a background check prior to volunteering. For more information about completing the background check, contact Alexandria McKenzie at email@example.com.
- Donate financially- Financial donations are an integral part to the success of The Pellissippi Pantry. Financial contributions can be made to the Pellissippi State Foundation. Donors can choose either the Pellissippi Panty or the Hardin Valley Campus Garden. The funds will be utilized to purchase food from local partners or items needed for the garden.
- Another way to support the pantry is through the purchase of gift cards in $25 denominations from regional grocery stores (i.e. Food City, Kroger’s). These gift cards will allow us to send those directly to participants who may be unable to come to campus for pick up or to assist our students experiencing homelessness in a more effective way. Individuals who wish to donate gift cards need to complete and sign an in-kind form. Donors may sign the form electronically or mail it with the gift cards to: Executive Director, Pellissippi State Foundation, P.O. Box 22990, Knoxville, Tennessee 37933.
- If you utilize Amazon personally, consider ordering through AmazonSmile. Select Pellissippi State Foundation as your non-profit and a small percentage of your eligible purchase will benefit the Pellissippi State Foundation.
- Donate Food- The pantry accepts in-date donations year-round. Needs include food, personal care items, household items, baby products, pet food, etc. Most needed items are listed below as well as the location of donation boxes across campuses. For those in the community who would like to donate items directly to us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Most Needed Items
- Personal Hygiene Items Travel Size
- Sugar, 2 lbs.
- Spam/Treet Luncheon Meat 12 oz. Can
- Gluten Free Mac & Cheese
- Garbage bags 10 Count 13 gal.
- Cooking Oil 16 oz.
- Vegetables Single Serve Cups
- Protein Bars/Kind Bars
- Toilet Paper Single Roll
- Salt & Pepper Shaker Set
- Condensed Soup 10.5 oz.
- Cheerios/Chex – Small Box /Single Serve Cups
- Dishwashing Liquid 16 oz.
- Cooking Spray 5 oz.
- PopTarts/Toaster Pastries
- Hormel Compleats Single Meals
- Liquid laundry detergent 10 oz. *
- Shelf Stable Milk *
- Progresso Gluten Free Homestyle Chicken Soup 14 oz.
- Tuna and/or Chicken Helper
*Dollar Tree carries smaller size items which are needed for the pantry. Most cost $1.25 each. Items can be ordered online and delivered, at no additional cost, to a local Dollar Tree
**If you utilize Amazon personally, consider ordering through AmazonSmile. Select Pellissippi State Foundation as your non-profit and a small percentage of your eligible purchase will benefit the Foundation.ee for pickup.
Pellissippi Pantry donation boxes are located in the main hallway or front offices on all site campuses. There are boxes located in every building on the Hardin Valley Campus. Donations can also be dropped off directly to Portable D on the Hardin Valley Campus.