Skip to content
Home » Veteran Services

Veteran Services

Veteran Services

Welcome to the Veteran Services Office at Pellissippi State Community College

Pellissippi State honors the service and sacrifice of our student veterans and their families. We are here to support all military affiliated students by providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to begin your path to a workforce credential, career and technical degree or transfer to a four year university. As you transition from military service to civilian life, Pellissippi State community College has the support you need to succeed.

As one of the first community colleges in Tennessee to receive the VETS Campus designation, Pellissippi is committed to providing our student veterans with access  to services such as tutoring, counseling and disability support. We have a Veterans Success Committee that meets regularly to discuss programming for student veterans to address social, academic and economic needs.

Our Services include the following

Textbook Lending Library

Our Veterans Services office works with the Library to offer a textbook program for student veterans. Student veterans have access to a collection of grant-funded textbooks available for one semester at a time on a first-come, first-served basis. Learn more through the Library.

Prior Learning Assessment

Student veterans may be able to earn academic credit for military service, a process called Prior Learning Assessment, or PLA. Prior learning assessment can be applied to a student’s specific degree program, shortening the amount of time it takes to complete that degree. Remember that changing your major may affect how your PLA credits are applied. Always speak to an advisor and to Veterans Services before you change your major.

Financial Aid

Student Veterans have many different options for financial aid from VA benefits to state and federal financial aid opportunities. We encourage student veterans to apply for all financial aid opportunities using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). While it’s not required for VA benefits, we recommend you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for other federal and state aid. Your Financial Aid checklist has all the information.

GI Bill® benefits

Our VA School Certifying Official is Kelsy Fritts, she here to help with clarification and certifying of benefits.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a government benefit offered to current service members of all branches of the Armed Forces to assist with the cost of tuition. Some military spouses may also be eligible to receive a form of Tuition Assistance. Here you may find information on the general process to request TA and policies for utilizing Military Tuition Assistance. Click your branch of the military below to visit their education portal.

Steps for Requesting Tuition Assistance

  1. Speak with your Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service to ensure your eligibility for Tuition Assistance prior to enrolling.
  2. Follow their instructions on how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the timeframe in which you are able to request your TA.
  3. The military approves your TA request.
  4. Your approved TA request must be turned in to the college’s Business Office for processing. You may submit this to us in person, by fax: 865.539.7207 or via email:
  5. The Business Office applies the TA credit to your account. You are responsible for payment of any difference not covered by the TA in order to confirm your course schedule.

Tennessee STRONG Act

Tennessee’s STRONG Act provides educational opportunities for veterans. Visit to fill out an application packet, receive recommendation from your Unit/Squadron Commander, and find out more about this program.

Additional Resources

  • Advising Student veterans have an assigned advisor based on their chosen major. The advisor will reach out to them each semester to schedule times to meet for advice on next semester classes and to check-in on their progress. General advising questions can be answered by contacting  It is important to check your Pellissippi email for information from you advisor.
  • Disability Services provides services and academic accommodations for students with a disability. They can provide note-takers, readers, scribes and interpreters; and help you find a tutor or adaptive equipment.
  • The Tutoring Center offers free tutoring services including arranging for a quiet space for meeting with a tutor one on one.
  • Counseling Services helps students manage common issues like anxiety, stress and other emotional and mental health obstacles. This is a free and strictly confidential service. Students may schedule an appointment through the website by clicking on the blue counseling services link.
  • The Testing Center offers comprehensive testing programs that can help student veterans accelerate their progress to a degree. The testing center offers CLEP and DANTES testing as well as a variety of licensing and certification exams.

In addition to the services and programs listed above Pellissippi State’s Hardin Valley campus has the Ben Atchley Veterans Success Center were all military affiliated students may go to relax, socialize with other veterans or grab a quick snack. Our other campuses also have designated student veteran areas.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Contact Us

Kelsy Fritts
Coordinator and School Certifying Official

Rachael Cragle, DM
Assistant Dean of Student Achievement



Start Strong Center
General Questions