Veterans Services - Pellissippi State Community College
Hardin Valley Campus landscape

Veterans Services

You have served your country.

At Pellissippi State, we honor your service and sacrifice — and we are here to support you as you transition from military to civilian life, whether you plan to enter the workforce or transfer to a four-year university.

We work with students on all five of Pellissippi State’s campuses, but on the Hardin Valley Campus, the Ben Atchley Veterans Success Center offers student veterans a fully-equipped study center and lounge that is the perfect place to relax on campus or connect with fellow student veterans.

Remember to follow your Admissions, Financial Aid and Advising checklists for all of the information about enrolling, financial aid and registering for classes. Additionally, there is a Frequently Asked Questions page to help answer your questions as you navigate the enrollment process.


Prior Learning Assessment & the CAMO Program

Student veterans may be able to earn academic credit for military service, a process called Prior Learning Assessment, or PLA. Prior learning assessment can be applied to a student’s specific degree program, shortening the amount of time it takes to complete that degree.

Remember that changing your major may affect how your PLA credits are applied. Always speak to an advisor and to Veterans Services before you change your major.

Our new CAMO Program makes earning credit for military experience easier. Student veterans can have their military service evaluated for college credit before they enroll at Pellissippi State. We’re happy to launch this initiative, which will give veterans better clarity about their entrance into college.


Veterans Services Textbook Program

Our Veterans Services office works with the Library to offer a textbook program for student veterans. Student veterans have access to a collection of grant-funded textbooks available for one semester at a time on a first-come, first-served basis. Learn more through the Library.


Financial Aid

Our VA school certifying official, Sharon Roberts, is here to help you navigate the GI Bill® benefits as well as other financial aid. She also maintains your student records in accordance with federal guidelines, and will approve and certify your enrollment for the GI Bill.

While it’s not required for VA benefits, we recommend you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for other federal and state aid. Your Financial Aid checklist has all the information.

Remember, when you accept veterans educational assistance, you assume responsibility for all the rules and regulations for the Veterans Administration.


Military Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a government benefit offered to current service members of all branches of the Armed Forces to assist with the cost of tuition. Some military spouses may also be eligible to receive a form of Tuition Assistance. Here you may find information on the general process to request TA and policies for utilizing Military Tuition Assistance. Click your branch of the military below to visit their education portal. 


How to Request Tuition Assistance

The process for requesting Tuition Assistance is generally the same for all branches of the military and is outlined in the basic steps below. However, please also see the additional links at the top of this page for more information regarding the specific type of military Tuition Assistance you are using.

  1. Speak with your Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service to ensure your eligibility for Tuition Assistance prior to enrolling.
  2. Follow their instructions on how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the timeframe in which you are able to request your TA.
  3. The military approves your TA request.
  4. Your approved TA request must be turned in to the college’s Business Office for processing. You may submit this to us in person, by fax: (865) 539-7339 or via email:
  5. The Business Office applies the TA credit to your account. You are responsible for payment of any difference not covered by the TA in order to confirm your course schedule.


Tennessee STRONG Act

Tennessee’s STRONG Act provides educational opportunities for veterans. Visit to fill out an application packet, receive recommendation from your Unit/Squadron Commander, and find out more about this program.


Additional Resources

As a student veteran, you may want or need additional resources and support.

  • Disability Services provides services and academic accommodations for students with a disability. They can help with registration and advising; provide note-takers, readers, scribes and interpreters; and help you find a tutor or adaptive equipment.
  • The Tutoring Center offers free tutoring services plus peer mentors and student success coordinators to encourage you. Quiet space is available upon request.
  • Counseling Services helps students manage common issues like anxiety, stress and other emotional and mental obstacles, as well as other crises, from post-traumatic stress disorder to depression to addiction. Our counselors can also help match your skills and interests with a possible career, or teach you time management and test-taking skills.
  • The Testing Center offers comprehensive testing programs that can help student veterans test to gain college credits, obtain certification or licensing and enhance academic programs.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Contact Us
Ben Atchley Veterans Success Center
Educational Resources Center, Room 123
Hardin Valley Campus

Sharon Roberts
VA School Certifying Official