Pellissippi State Community College offers non-credit courses that are perfect for those New Years’ resolutions or just beating the winter blues.
All classes are held on the Hardin Valley Campus, 10915 Hardin Valley Road, unless otherwise specified. Register at www.pstcc.edu/bcs.
- The Mind of the Mountaineer — Tuesdays, 6:15-8:15 p.m., Feb. 28-April 11. Part of the “Our Appalachia” series, this course studies Appalachia following the Revolutionary War, particularly the Scots-Irish influence on American politics, religion and literature. Cost is $89 plus $15 materials fee. Taught at Blount County Campus, 2731 W. Lamar Alexander Parkway.
- Savvy Social Security & Life Planning Strategies for Women — 6-7:30 p.m., Feb. 6. Learn about spousal benefits, coordinating benefits, marital status changes and planning for long life. Cost is $29. Taught at Blount County Campus, 2731 W. Lamar Alexander Parkway.
- Traditional Mixed Martial Arts — Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-8 p.m., Jan. 17-May 4. Learn Isshinryu Karate, Jiu Jitsu, weapons and self-defense. Suitable for any skill level and any age. Cost is $300.
- Home Comfort: Using Natural Remedies — Wednesdays, 6-8 p.m., Jan. 18-Feb. 22. Learn to make teas, tonics and tinctures as homemade remedies to common discomforts. Instructor is a certified herbalist. Cost is $95.
- Strength and Tone for Fitness — Tuesdays, 5-6 p.m., Jan. 24-April 18. Strengthen and tone your body by using bands, bars, free weights and machines. Cost is $109.
- Ballroom Dancing, Level I — Mondays, 6:45-7:30 p.m., Jan. 30-March 13. Learn the basic dance steps for popular dances such as swing, tango, salsa, waltz and more. Cost is $85 per person or $100 per couple. Taught at Dance Tonight, 9119 Executive Park Drive.
- Ballroom Dancing, Level II — Tuesdays, 6:45-7:30 p.m., Jan. 31-March 14. Go beyond basics: get tips on footwork, arm styling and floor craft. Cost is $85 per person or $100 per couple. Taught at Dance Tonight, 9119 Executive Park Drive.
To request accommodations for a disability for these courses, contact the executive director of Equity and Compliance at 865-539-7401 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about non-credit courses at Pellissippi State, visit www.pstcc.edu/bcs or call 865-539-7167.