students using sign language

Disability Services

Disability Services coordinates services and accommodations for students with disabilities. To be eligible, students must self-identify to our office by completing the application for accommodations and provide appropriate documentation. Once you have applied as a student to Pellissippi State, you can access Disability Services forms through your myPellissippi account.

Our office also oversees the Universal Pathways to Employment Project, which supports students who wish to earn a degree in one of our Career Programs by helping them with career plans, job and interview skills and internship placement.

You can follow the guided path through enrolling at Pellissippi State beginning with Admissions. We encourage you to contact us during the Admissions process, so any accommodations you may need are in place before any required placement tests.

How should I prepare for college?

First, practice being your own best advocate. Be prepared to explain your disability and the kinds of accommodations you may need. Part of this process is completing documentation — in partnership with your medical provider — of your disability.


What does Disability Services provide?

We provide a number of services to qualified students through their myPellissippi accounts.

  • Individualized accommodation plans
  • Assistance with advising and registering for classes
  • Alternate-format textbooks
  • Braille or large print services
  • Assistance with voter registration forms
  • Assistance in obtaining a parking permit and hangtag
  • Assistance with Vocational Rehabilitation, Veterans Administration and Pellissippi State employees
  • Interpreters and/or transcriptionists for the deaf or hard of hearing
  • Note takers and lab assistants
  • Assistance and training with assistive technology tools


What assistive technologies are available on campus?

Pellissippi State has computers equipped with assistive technology for students with disabilities at all of our campuses. All computers in our computer labs on all of our campuses are loaded with a variety of software. Some computers provide additional tools; these computers are located in certain areas:

Hardin Valley Campus
Educational Resources Center, Reference Room
Alexander Building, Room 132

Blount County Campus
Room 136

Magnolia Avenue Campus
The Center for Student Engagement and Success

Division Street Campus
Room 208

Strawberry Plains Campus
Room 2654


We also offer free access to specialized software and hardware, which you can request through our office.

  • Assistive listening devices
  • Large-format computer monitors
  • Magnifiers
  • Braille translators and transcribers
  • Screen readers
  • Smart pens and recording devices
  • Digital media players
  • Scanners and document converters
  • Ergonomic and specialized keyboards
  • Talking calculators
  • Voice recognition software
  • Text to speech software
  • Video phones
    • Hardin Valley Campus - Goins Building, Room 101
    • Blount County Campus - Room 123
    • Division Street Campus - Room 112
    • Magnolia Avenue Campus - Room 142E
    • Strawberry Plains Campus - Room 2936

Contact Us

Disability Services
Hardin Valley Campus
Alexander Building, Room 130
Fax: 865.539.7699

chat loading...

Disability Services Directory

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook